Unicorn Sought : Comfy Wired Gaming Headset For Not Much Money.

Soldato
My aging QPAD gaming headset has decided to give up the ghost despite my singing its praises, so I’m looking for a replacement.

Must be over the ear / closed cup style and comfy as a pair of well broken in slippers. Wired for 3.5mm connectors and of decent build quality although I do look after my gear.

The unicorn part is the budget: under £50.

Soldato
OP
Before giving up on it, have you looked inside? A loose connection might be an easy re-solder.

Not yet. Every other headphone I’ve owned over the last 40 years has failed by wiring/connector failures causing either the left of right channel to disappear.

The QPAD has decided it’s going to play both channels in my left and a garbled mess in my right regardless of where I set the balance slider. Soundcard is fine as I checked both headphone and speaker outputs using the desktop speakers and a pre-Lightning connector iphone headset.

It’s definitely the QPAD as it behaves the same when connected to my iPad.

Associate
I have had corsair before and they are generally great sound and often on sale, there's a H35 on pre order around that price. I haven't tried them myself though. Their refurbished stuff is good as well and lasted me years

Soldato
I'm going to suggest hyperX too. The cloud II is, I believe a 3.5MM with a USB soundcard in the box (might want to check though). The cloud 1 is just the 3.5mm and they're otherwise largely the same thing.
That particular headphone is based on a VERY low end, step 0.1 of 10 into audiophile headphone (Takstar Pro 80). It'll be pretty damn comfy and sound nice. They're exactly £50 from a quick google.

user review of the takstars over on head-fi:https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/takstar-pro-80.14845/
The cloud/cloud 2 (but NOT the other "cloud" like stinger, etc) are basically the same thing with a mic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom