Unusually high ssd Crucial T700 speeds in Gen4 slot???

Associate
Hi,
Bit of a strange 1st post, So 'Hi everyone' ;)...

Theres probably a really straight forward answer to this, that i simply haven't found yet with google, but if i give a rough out line of my current system with a screen shot could anyone expalain how this is possible? (Gen 5 speeds in Gen 4 slot)

14900KF on a bed of ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING with an RTX4070 Founders Card and a crucial t700 2tb gen5 ssd (slotted into the gen4 slot on the board) allowing, as can be seen, full x16 gen4 bandwidth to the GPU.

" Screen grab / Hwinfo / Crystal / GPUZ "

The spec of the board and 'most' gen5 z790 compatible boards i think, states to achive full gen5 bandwidth the ssd must be in a gen5 slot and will then reduce pcie to x8 for the gpu? i thought it was a possibly a bug in crystaldisk but other speed test tool yeild the same 12000 to 12500 speeds while gpu is running x16-4.

Any info on this would be greatfully appreciated or is this totally normal?

Thanks Nige

Associate
OP
Wow! Yes... its now full Gen 4 speed maxing out around 7400... what in earth is that all about? Is the momentum cache using the ram as some sort of buffer so the ssd isnt actully working at that speed?

Soldato
Wow! Yes... its now full Gen 4 speed maxing out around 7400... what in earth is that all about? Is the momentum cache using the ram as some sort of buffer so the ssd isnt actully working at that speed?
Exactly that. There's no harm in using the RAM as a cache for the SSD drive, unless you are prone to power cuts - in which case leave the cache disabled to help minimise any data loss should you experience a power cut.

Back
Top Bottom