Using a Raspberry Pi (or similar) on a non smart tv?

Soldato
I have a Samsung TV that will connect to my network and play some video files that are stored on my main pc but the Samsung Allshare software is dreadful and it won't play back some video files.
Would a Pi, or similar, be able to access and playback video files from my pc? Is it easy enough to do (needs to have a simple interface) and it would be a bonus if it could do Iplayer as well? I assume a wireless mouse and keyboard can connect to them? I guess they also have hdmi outputs etc?
As you can tell I'm a total noob on this subject- thanks for any pointers :)

Soldato
In short - yes the Pi makes a good media playback machine, lots of people use a software setup called Kodi to stream network files, internet stuff, radio and more. Not sure about iPlayer :)

Any Pi with video has HDMI outputs and USB ports for wired or wireless peripherals too. You may need an adapter for micro HDMI.

Unfortunately the top end Raspberry Pi (Pi 4) are really expensive now due to demand :( A used Pi 3 may do you well.

Soldato
Plex is a good starting point for what you want to do. However instead of a RPi, I’d suggest an Amazon Fire Stick. It’s far simpler to use and set up

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies!
The TV only has the AllShare option, there's no other Smart features available unfortunately. It is an old tv. So the Pi idea will work, but a Firestick will also do what I'd like? Playback media files stored on a PC and do iPlayer? I assume it'll also do other streaming services as well?
Many thanks :)
EDIT: Hmm I've just been reminded we have an old ChromeCast thingy sitting about - would that work I wonder? I seem to recall it was a pita to use so it got unplugged :o Whatever solution, it must be controllable from the TV room, don't want to have to start playback on the PC first or anything like that, want a seperate solution if that makes sense? Smartphone control would be "OK" I guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you know which Chromecast model it is? If you already have it then try set up Plex on the PC, install Plex on the phone, and it should be able to cast to the Chromecast.

Firestick or even the newer Chromecast with Google TV on the other hand can install Plex directly, meaning no need for the phone and remote only. Even better if your TV supports HDMI-CEC, then you can stick with the TV remote to control either of them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I use an Nvidia Shield to do this on an older TV (it is smart-ish, but not like Android is!). I assume a firestick would do the same.

Streaming video from my PC is easy. Just set the folder up as SMB network share and connect and play stuff using VLC. I'm sure it's possible using anything that will run Plex, but you can set up VLC within 5 mins.

Soldato
Got multiple shield tv boxes accessing network shares on windows pc. Best part is no transcoding takes place and you get full quality of the file your playing. Best use of android boxes since they can all access network shares without needed transcoding junk like plex.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom