Van hire. How best to pay deposit?

Associate
So, I have booked a van for a single day this coming Saturday from a local hire firm. It is a legitimate, non-national chain company. They want the outstanding fee (£60 to pay from the total hire fee of £80.... I paid £20 when booking as per their request) plus a £250 deposit. Should I pay by credit card, debit card or cash?

Do credit cards offer better protection? To me the £250 deposit sounds like what they take from if I damage the van but aren't these deposits usually larger?

Soldato
250 is about standard, usually returned a few days after the van is, assuming its not wrecked.

This was a few years ago though when I helped a family member move.

Last edited:
Soldato
When I got a van to move down here I paid a £ 10 damage collision waiver or whatever it's called, this limited the financial liability on my side.
This doesn't answer the question but do a video and loads of pics of van before taking it noting any imperfections,dents scuffs, everything

Last edited:
Associate
OP
When I got a van to move down here I paid a £ 10 damage collision waiver or whatever it's called, this limited the financial liability on my side.
This doesn't answer the question but do a video and loads of pics of van before taking it noting any imperfections,dents scuffs, everything
Yeah, will do. Good advice.

Soldato
I use the credit card whenever I'm not sure as in general you're more protected than if you just use your own money, and have more options to dispute things / claim money back if you don't get what you paid for. Idk if it makes much difference on this particular case but I'd go credit card.

Last edited:
Soldato
yub use a credit card... if you have a fancy account you can use a a virtual card.

I was given a hire merc for a week but had to place the deposit on one of my own cards, the cheeky gits place a cost of a speeding fine for speeding the week after I gave the car back.
I just called the bank and told them to remove it, as I wasn't even in the country that week as the rest of my purchases show.
It turns out that a member of staff was using the car when it was speeding and their system assumed it was me as I was the last customer record for that vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom