Very noob question

Associate
Not yet committed to buying a raspberry pi, however still watching lots of video's slowly getting more clued up about them. I was going to buy a cheap 3b pi unit but then the pi 5 was released
and thought to myself better ask here is pi 5 the way to go now even as a noob? Now onto my very noob question:- am i right in thinking the pi is a 1 program only unit? what i mean is if i were to self host a password manager
on it, would i be able to run anything else along side that.
thanks

Don
You can run more than one thing on a Pi (or any other small form factor computer), the main way of doing this is with Docker (which essentially bundles up an App with all it's required libraries into a small package).

Note there is no requirement to use a Pi for this - any old/spare PC can do this - just install something like Ubuntu server on it, and then download docker.

The main use case for a Pi comes from the use of it's GPIO pins, whereby you can hook up sensors, and drives outputs so that the Pi can either react to and/or control other things. If you don't need any of that functionality, then a 2nd hand Mini/Micro/Tiny PC is probably a better bet for most use cases.

A useful starting point for the mini PCs here:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You can run more than one thing on a Pi (or any other small form factor computer), the main way of doing this is with Docker (which essentially bundles up an App with all it's required libraries into a small package).

Note there is no requirement to use a Pi for this - any old/spare PC can do this - just install something like Ubuntu server on it, and then download docker.

The main use case for a Pi comes from the use of it's GPIO pins, whereby you can hook up sensors, and drives outputs so that the Pi can either react to and/or control other things. If you don't need any of that functionality, then a 2nd hand Mini/Micro/Tiny PC is probably a better bet for most use cases.

A useful starting point for the mini PCs here:

thanks for the reply, i do like the idea of one of these mini pc's, are you able to suggest a cheap one say in the £150 area max

Soldato
thanks for the reply, i do like the idea of one of these mini pc's, are you able to suggest a cheap one say in the £150 area max

This has some chat about that... Good fun!

Associate
Not yet committed to buying a raspberry pi, however still watching lots of video's slowly getting more clued up about them. I was going to buy a cheap 3b pi unit but then the pi 5 was released
and thought to myself better ask here is pi 5 the way to go now even as a noob? Now onto my very noob question:- am i right in thinking the pi is a 1 program only unit? what i mean is if i were to self host a password manager
on it, would i be able to run anything else along side that.
thanks
I feel I’m missing out on not owning a Raspberry Pi and a few videos of Retropie caught my eye. I’ve been having a few searches on here trying to justify why I need one ;)

Back
Top Bottom