wanting to try linux dual boot with win 11

Associate
Hi all i have tried this before years ago dual booting on the same drive and always had problems (my own fault ) so would like to try again, so first question is install on the windows drive or on another drive, and then the best way to select the os when booting ?
Thanks

Associate
Spare drive is always easier, although most installers will sort out the partition and the EFI setup.

Fedora is still my goto distro.

Associate
OP
Spare drive is always easier, although most installers will sort out the partition and the EFI setup.

Fedora is still my goto distro.
thanks will give it a look i only went mint as i dipped into years back but want to learn more so will probably drop it for something less windows like

Associate
thanks will give it a look i only went mint as i dipped into years back but want to learn more so will probably drop it for something less windows like
Fedora and PopOS have good Gnome implementations, and PopOS are building their own Rust-based DE, which will look very similar.

Fedora also offer “spins” so you can get it with the other DEs if you don’t enjoy Gnome (I love it for development). The main reason I use Fedora is because it’s more up to date but still stable.

Associate
can i ask what you both use fedora for as all i want is to learn linux atm ?
Thanks
I mainly use it for work (development). Fedora is upstream of RHEL so it's very well supported and you'll often find popular software providing either a .deb or .rpm - not that you can't get the software on other distros.

It's very stable but also relatively up-to-date, which isn't the case for a lot of other distros. This can be helpful on newer hardware. PopOS is also decent for learning and will be familiar as it's based on Ubuntu.

Ultimately it depends on what you want to learn. They're all Linux in the end.

Back
Top Bottom