Whaley Bridge (UK) - attempted burglary / shooting

Soldato
Looks like a farmer wasn't too happy with being burgled and shot two people, killing one.

The farmer has been arrested for "murder and attempted murder". I'd be very surprised if he was convicted unless he's somehow entrapped the would-be burglars. What do you think about this incident?

Soldato
OP
Personally I think if someone breaks into your house they should leave their rights at the door, but shooting them is always going to be a difficult one to explain, and, like the Tony Martin case, it wouldn't surprise me if they were running away at the time...
Hopefully that isn't the case. I'd be surprised if a jury would convict the farmer if it looks like a legitimate case of defending himself / property.

I do wonder if the police will try to get him on something else like improper storage of his (I assume) shotgun.

Soldato
OP
@Angilion - that’s not how castle doctrine works. There still has to be a reasonable belief that there’s a threat to you, e.g. not just a kid running on to your grass to get a ball back.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
IIRC it's not so much a specific "law" as written down by the government, but rather largely case law over the last few hundred years where courts have defined what is likely reasonable etc.
Ah right, understood. Would be nice to have a black letter law on this but not really a top priority.

Back
Top Bottom