What is Starcraft and why is it always mentioned?

Soldato
Whenever I see a new RTS being made I always seem to see people saying "It's not as good as Starcraft!". I have decided to have a look into it as recently a few of us have been trying out older games (mainly because I work away and have to use a work laptop with a crap i965 integrated card!!). What I have seen confuses me!

The game seems to have been released in 1998 so is it purely nostalgia that means people think it is great? For the date it was released I'm sure it was revolutionary, but is it still any good compared to modern day RTS games and if so what makes it that good?

I have no problem with older graphics and if the playability is what makes it great then fair enough, but do people still play it today or is all this talk based on nostalgia for what was great at the time? For example - I remember Command and Conquer 1 being amazing when I first played it but having recently tried it again it is shocking!

EDIT: Have just found a demo so downloading it now and will decide for myself! Wouldn't mind hearing from people who rave about it though...

Soldato
OP
Ahh it has a fixed resolution of 640x480 and no way to change it in config files, etc from the looks of it after googling. There are resolution "hacks" but they are apparently buggy.

Playing on a widescreen monitor at 640x480 looks, erm, interesting! Back to the drawing board looking for a good RTS from the old days!

Back
Top Bottom