What now for VMWare? What now for virtualisation?

Soldato
Cloud is not viable so hello kvm though business really wants something with paid support
Azure Stack HCI.

It's still hyper-v under the hood and it still sucks to setup, but it's probably the best if the rest in terms of enterprise hypervisors. It's also fairly cheap too -$10 dollars per active core per month (and most vendors have software to restrict cores, which is nice).

It feels like we're pushing turds in comparison to VMware, but it's selling well and does have tighter integration with Azure.

I'd love to push xcp-ng or proxmox, but they're just not enterprise level hypervisors.

Soldato
out of interest what do you feel is missing from them?

that works if you want to fully integrated in to azure, not everyone does and or can afford to i would think.
Enterprise class support.

I'm working with a client at the moment who uses xcp-ng, and the hardware vendors will categorically not support it to the point they've asked us to step in in the absence of anyone able to support it. Everything is best endeavours, which is not acceptable in the business world as a normal operating model.

Don
Enterprise class support.

I'm working with a client at the moment who uses xcp-ng, and the hardware vendors will categorically not support it to the point they've asked us to step in in the absence of anyone able to support it. Everything is best endeavours, which is not acceptable in the business world as a normal operating model.
Surely if enterprise support is needed then they should be using xenserver rather than xcp-ng?

Soldato
Be interesting to see if MS add more features to Hyper-V to try and fill the gap, or if they're more interested in people going down the Azure route given everyone wants you on a subscription based model these days...

Soldato
willing to bet Azure.
why waste resources on something you dont want to support. they'll do it later (add fetures) if there is a big shift away from azure/subscriptions and back to on prem i suspect. i dont see that soon at the moment.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I am not really sure what Broadcom is trying to achieve by discontinuing the perpetual licensing apart from it being a massive cash grab.
I don't mean to be pedantic, but VMware announced that they were discontinuing perpetual licensing long before Broadcom announced the aquisition.

Associate
One upside of the Broadcom acquisition? Smelling blood in the water, their competitors' marketing budgets have gone ballistic. Lots of free lunches etc going now for anyone prepared to look at products for a day.

Back
Top Bottom