What program / site for android app development

dal

dal

Associate
Hi, so I want to create a app, nothing too flashy. Basically I want to control some leds from my phone via bluetooth ( connected to a ESP32 ). As a minimum what I will need to to is send 30 x 3 RGB values numbers overbluetooth.
I've tried MIT app inventor which is drag and drop to create functional buttons etc but it seems somewhat limited. What I'd like is somthing where you can drag and drop buttons / sliders ect onto a layout then code the buttons yourself.
I've done some C# coding before so I think I'd be ok with somthing like what I've described, even if not in C#.

Regards.

Associate
I've tried that, JEEZ that is complicated for a beginner. I'll try Xamarin
If you're delving into bluetooth stuff I'd say go native just for the native support and libraries, that is if you don't mind using Java or Kotlin and don't mind using Jetbrains IDEs.

If you're not very familiar with Android dev, just start a new project in Android Studio and use the wizard for Empty Activity. After Android Studio has created the project you'll be left looking at MainActivity.java (or .kt if you want to use Kotlin). The other template options for new projects such as Basic Activity will setup things for you like multiple fragments (basically multiple screens), navigation etc. but it doesn't sound like you need that sort of heavy lifting.

Android Studio will have generated a basic UI for you too which you'll find in res -> layout -> activity_main.xml.

If you open that up and click the design tab then you can do the drag and drop approach for building a UI.
Check this video to see someone using it (just using this as example of how to use the drag and drop UI, no idea if the actual content is any good):

I'll be honest that native android dev isn't as beginner friendly as making a UI with the visual studio drag and drop editor but there is loads of docs at https://developer.android.com/ and tutorials out there so don't get too put off!

dal

dal

Associate
OP
Thanks, I have actually gone back to android studio and I did manage to get a basic app working by following along with a treehouse video which I found really helpful, so I'll stick with that. I tried Xamarin but just couldn't get on with it, it seemed so long winded to get it set up.

Back
Top Bottom