Which HDD ?

Associate
Got 80Gb 8Mb cache WD 7200rpm ATA100

Doing a fair bit of video editing using Digital-8 camcorder, Firewire connection to Pinnacle Studio 9, have no probs with throughput, no dropped frames, simply want to capture to a different drive with more capacity

Already got DVD-RW and CR-RW on SECONDARY MASTER & SLAVE

Am wanting 250Gb minimum, should I

1 - Another WD IDE with 8Mb cache, PRIMARY SLAVE
2 - Maxtor with 16Mb cache (ATA133 running at ATA100) PRIMARY SLAVE
3 - SATA v1 drive with 16Mb cache

Associate
Id like to know this myself, as there are a lot of good deals around here, and all of them look quite similar, and a decent price upto 320GB, and wouldn need one bigger than that anyway.

Associate
Have a look at Samsung Spinpoint SP2504C (SATAII) and SP2514N (IDE), similar performance 250Gb HDDs. I have the SATAII one, and its a very nice drive at a nice price (can be found for £80 inc P&P).

SATAII drives will scale back to SATAI speeds anyways, so you can use either if you have SATA onboard.

8Mb to 16Mb cache doesn't seem to make a 'huge' difference. More is better for larger file transfers though.

M

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My MB supports SATA v1, think it refers to SATA 150MB/s or something, SATA is one of the few things I've never tackled or know anything about to be honest, suppose it would be better for my video editing needs, especially a 16Mb cache drive too

Back
Top Bottom