Who else used Facebook and didn't see the point of it?

After numerous automated emails of people nagging me to join FB, I finally joined the dark side in Oct 2007. I was never one for adding randoms. Just had family on it, and a growing list of old classmates. I therefore used it more-or-less like Friends Reunited. When I touched based with them, I tend to write long life stories of what happened after school etc, like I'm writing an email but using Facebook's PM system. If I got replies off people, the message was normally very short. They seemed to be more interested in reading status updates (which can be several times a day), or "poking" each other. What's the point in all of that? Then there's that Farmville that now seems to be a household name even more so than WoW. Hell, if I want to play a computer game, I buy something that puts my ATI HD4850 to good use. The final straw for Facebook was applying for a job a few months back. The advert instructed me to send them a covering letter + CV. So I did, and if they touch base with me, it would normally be in the form of a phonecall or email, wouldn't you say? Nope, not with these guys. They decided that they wanted to add me as a friend on Facebook. No prior communication, no nothing, straight to Facebook they go. Plus, isn't it LinkedIn that businesses tend to use? So anyway, I didn't accept the request, left my FB page dormant for a few weeks and then I cancelled my account. I saw no point.

I find that email is more central to me. That's how it's been since 1999 for me, and will continue to be. And no, I'm not behind the times, as I do have push email on my phone :) Who's with me there?

Soldato
OP
I don't get how people can't see a point in it. I can use it for keeping in contact with people who are far away.

Email, VoIP, IM? :p

As for people liking to share photos on Facebook - I was never too keen on that because the FB software resizes the images so that they're quite small. At least with something like Flickr, you can upload the original camera resolution, which is good for prints, desktop wallpaper and for those like me who prefer the original resolution.

Back
Top Bottom