Will you change your diet because of Climate Change?

Soldato
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34899066

The livestock sector produces about 15% of global greenhouse gases, roughly equivalent to all the exhaust emissions of every car, train, ship and aircraft on the planet.
A new report from the think tank Chatham House, Changing Climate, Changing Diets: Pathways to Lower Meat Consumption, argues that without concerted action to address over-consumption of meat, it will be near impossible to prevent global warming from passing the danger level of 2C.

So it seems like one of the next steps in the effort to prevent carbon emissions is to get the world to eat less meat, and its argued that the public at large will accept this if the facts are adequately explained to them from politicians and the media.

...I'm less than convinced. Choice of food is one of the most personal of choices a person has, and I'll strongly resist government interference in it.

There are many other less personally intrusive ways of lowering emissions, and other ways of counteracting climate change.

That said I'm all for eating more vegetables, but not vegetarian (or god forbid, vegan) dishes - as the article suggests - as there are very few I enjoy. Instead I'd prefer to just eat more and a wider variety of veggies, but this is difficult for other reasons. For example, we wanted to get some white radish recently, but found it simply doesn't exist in our supermarkets nearby (Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose, M&S). Veg-heavy and tasty recipes are also fairly hard to find...

TL;DR: Don't stop me eating bacon.

Back
Top Bottom