Windows 11 Home - Lots of Red Circles in the Reliability Monitor?

Associate
Hi,

Please can you help, I am not even sure how to describe this, the problem is random and I am at my wits end trying to see what is wrong :(

I built a new PC Christmas 2023 with Windows 11 home, all fine until about a month ago; Over a week I kept getting blue screen of deaths whilst windows was trying to update defender, the reliability monitor (and a post on Overclockers) seemed to imply it was a power problem. I reinstalled W11 and changed all the power settings to performance, changed the sleep and hibernation settings to never etc. This seemed to fix the problem, defender updates didn't cause an issue going forwards and I no longer got blue screens.

However, I have noticed I am getting red circles appear in the reliability monitor, its always "the app stopped working or crashed" but its never the same app, totally random and usually during the update process or sometimes when I first start an program. The weird thing is the program never hangs or crashes and runs fine, however it reports a crash in the reliability monitor? The only way i know it has happened is by looking in the reliability monitor, just running W11 and software gives no indication of problems, so this must be happening in the background?

I have installed W11 many times since the blue screens to try and see if I can get rid of the red circles, but they are eventually always there and are never the same app, so its impossible to try and pinpoint a specific problem. The weird thing is W11 seems to run fine red circles or not and I have no hardware problems?

I never used to look at the reliability monitor prior to the blue screens, so for all I know I might have had red circles then? But now I am finding I am checking it regularly, which is making me go crazy!

Is this something I should be worried about, just forget about it and get on? Is it normal to have red circles in the reliability monitor or do you think I might have a hardware problem?

I apologise for not being more specific as the problems are never the same;

The most consistent one this week has been "runtime broker", which I think appeared after I picked my profile name on the task bar, this had the "change account settings" option twice in the list whereas it should be on there once. When I picked that option the software ran fine but a red circle was generated. The duplicated options where gone afterwards?

Thank you

Man of Honour
Is this something I should be worried about, just forget about it and get on? Is it normal to have red circles in the reliability monitor or do you think I might have a hardware problem?
I have 4 from this month so far. Do I care? Nope.

Does it indicate a hardware problem? Probably not, a lot of apps crash because they're crap, or they're old and have compatibility issues. If it happens often, then I'd check the stability of your PC with the tests included in overclocking software.

Associate
Agreed, as long as you're not still getting BSODs nor experiencing noticeable app crashes I wouldn't worry, mine one has 6 'critical' events (app crashes) this month but the system is fine.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you,

No, there hasn't been anymore BSOD's and no app crashes after I have opened them, just does it in the background sometimes. There have a couple of "windows stopped working" red circles, but again I didn't notice it whilst using windows, usually happens during an update

I think I have become obsessed with checking the reliability monitor lol, I need to move on from it and get on with using my pc

Thank you both

Back
Top Bottom