Wireless Connection dropouts.

Soldato
Hey all,
I recently decided that a wireless network was probably the way to go for my laptop and desktop pc.
To that end I purchased:

Buffalo Cable Router WYR G54
Belkin Wireless G Desktop Network Card
Belkin Wireless G Notebook Network Card

Both my computers run service pack 2 xp with zonealarm firewall.
I'm on Telewest 750k service

I installed everything ok, making sure i turned off all power saving options, I also turned off the windows wireless configuration tool and opted for the belkin software to run things. 64bit Wep was my initial encryption standard.

Things started off running perfectly on both pc's, however as I was upstairs with my desktop after about 45mins to an hour the connection dropped off. (this is despite signal strength remaining constant at above 90%). This pattern has continued when it's in use. Now normally it allows me to reconnect immediately so it's not a huge issue but still something i would like to resolve. Occasionally however I have to scan for available networks and it shows nothing up, this can only be resolved by rebooting my desktop at which point it works perfectly from boot up (for 45 mins at least).

steps I've taken to resolve this are:
disabling wep (not ideal).
ensuring that laptop downstairs doesn't suffer same issues.
updating drivers/firmware on devices.
lowering fragmentation threshold
Ensuring microwave and other devices on similar bands are switched off.

I'm kind of thinking it must be the card in my desktop as the laptop stays on and i imagine if it was an issue with the router the laptop would drop as well.
Can't see how it could be interference really as while the laptop is the closer (literally 5-10 feet at all times) my desktop pc is only 20 feet max through a ceiling and no electronic metallic devices (besides the pc itself) and anyway signal strenght shows as strong right up until the moment it drops.

Don't suppose anyone has any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Soldato
OP
Ok i contacted belkin just and they advised me to set up a static ip address etc
with ip

Gateway

DNS
Alternative

Initially when i rebooted it said that my dns couldn't resolve ip addresses so i set ip to auto through dhcp while keeping the fixed dns and it connected fine. Actually been on for more than an hour now though it did change ip address to 192.168.11.2, don't know if that helps anyone in my current situation but thought i'd post what i did to resolve.

Back
Top Bottom