• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

XFX 6800GS Power

Soldato
no name PSU's are unstable and generally dont meet the requirements of most of the hardware plugged into them, i learnt the hard way when my 350w wasnt supplying enough amps on the 12v to the hard-drive, which causes the circuitry to fry, luckily i needed another 160 so i ordered the same one, replaced the broken circuit board with the new one's and retrieved all my data, and then RMA'd the other one.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Just to give you an example - P4 3.2ghz @ 3.6Ghz, 4 very busy drives (2 SATA, 2 PATA), XFX 6800GS @ 16/6, PCI TV card, PCI Audigy Platinum with front panel, 6 fans, DVD-RW, network running, 3 USB devices present - all that at this very moment draws 160W flat. When gaming it rises up to 195W. You'd imagine any 400W would handle that without any issues. Standard issue no name 420W power supply couldn't. Machine would reboot not only if I tried to play games but even when I was defragging all 4 drives in the same time or if I tried to burn DVD. It just couldn't provide stable enough current at half it's nominal wattage. Opted for 600W branded PSU and all problems were gone immediatelly.

Soldato
shuttle PSUs seem to be pretty good, i guess barebones dont really need very powerful psus(cept that SLI shuttle) since you can only really fit single slot cooling graphics cards in, and not many drives or expansion cards either. Plus if your PSU goes haywire and fries your motherboard in a shuttle its them that has 2 pay the price since mobo+PSU are both under their warranty :d

Soldato
my LE ran with a 400 generic, but wasnt reaching full optimal running power, changed to a 350 watt enermax coolergiant and i gained 300 marks in 3dmark, so a 350-400 decent supply would more than likely work a treat mate :)

Back
Top Bottom