• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

XFX Warranty

Soldato
Been sorting out an RMA with XFX over the past week. It started well with the online ticket being almost instantly answered with some sound advice. Brilliant, I thought, however when I pressed them to send me RMA instructions things started getting surreal...

[ 5/8/2009 3:57:21 PM] Hi. My 8800GTX has stopped working. When I power up the machine it simply does nothing - no lights, no fan, no sign of life at all. I have tried it in a couple of different motherboards with no luck. My current GFX card (nVidia 280 gtx) works fine. Could I please have RMA instructions so I can send it to you for testing? Thanks Shane

[SHAUN_T 5/8/2009 4:46:16 PM] Hi Shane, thanks for your message. Did you make any hardware or software changes, move the PC or notice any unusual messages on start-up when the problems began? Please ensure the power cables are correctly connected to the card and is getting full power. Kind regards, Shaun.

[ 5/8/2009 8:31:40 PM] No warning at all unfortunately. I switched it off, working fine, then went to power on the next day and it was dead :(. I have subsequently tried it on a couple of other motherboards with no luck.
[ 5/11/2009 12:29:22 PM] Can I have RMA instructions please? His final response really is a work of art... Failure to read my initial post, Check... Failure to get all the facts, Check... Failure to be of any use to the customer, that's a big check! :(

[SHAUN_T 5/12/2009 12:48:45 PM] Hi Shane, thanks for your message. Unfortunately, your graphics card is out of warranty so we are unable to take the card back for RMA. Have you tried a different card in your system to see if it boots up without any issues? Kind regards, Shaun.

[ 5/13/2009 8:55:31 PM] Wow - I won`t ask how it is you think you know when I purchased this card, but given that the date on the invoice is 7 April 2008, and this issue occurred at the end of March 2009, that would mean that you are suggesting that this card has less than a one year warranty - rather than discussing the finer points of the Sale of Goods Act (as amended) (and the definitions of `fit for purpose` and of `suitable quality`) could I suggest that you send me RMA instructions so we can sort this out in an amicable manner?

I always find condescension and sarcasm the most satisfying response to stupidity - even if it isn't particularly constructive;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It does come with a 2 year warranty - which makes his comment all the more perplexing - hence the rather terse response from myself and the reason I wasn't worried about the delay in claiming. I didn't bother going into detail as I didn't think it was required - my card is broken - it's under warranty - I would like to send it to you for testing - please give me an RMA number - It's not rocket science really...

Soldato
OP
nice to know I'm not the only one - funny old thing there is still no response - I'm sure the comedy will continue - how hard is it to simply give me an RMA number?

Soldato
OP
Great news - I will drop the guys at OcUK a line and get this sorted out - although I will miss the rather hapless Shaun_T - I'm sure I'll get over it when my replacement arrives ;)

Soldato
OP
Well thank heavens for OcUK! I had a chat to the helpful chaps in Tech Support and they issued me an RMA there and then so the card is now winging its way to them now.:)

The rather unhelpful Shaun_T has subsequently written back to me with further 'helpful' suggestions - so I intent to continue my support session with them - as much out of curiosity, as bloody mindedness - just to see where it leads, and how long it takes them to provide the same level of service that took all of 15 seconds with the guys here! I'll update if anything interesting developes.

Soldato
OP
^^ Absolutely correct - and I actually got pulled up on it by XFX which surprised me - guess they get a lot of complaints and have extensive knowledge of the regs ;)

A word of warning to any of you planning on buying XFX cards from anyone other than OcUK: I was shown the light by a different rep who pointed out that XFX only offers ONE YEAR of warranty to customers...

WARRANTY PERIOD: XFX warranties hardware Product for a period of one (1) year from purchase from an authorised XFX reseller

The 2 years that was bandied about if for Distributers and not us :mad:

However - as pointed out above, OcUK have supplemented this (rather meagre) allowance with another year out of the goodness of their hearts (or an astute sense of the value of good customer relations ;))

Just to show I'm fair in my whining - the rest of the correspondence is attached below - I get 'pwned' good - so have a chuckle at my expense - but don't miss the point - XFX really are bad at customer relations.

[SHAUN_T 5/19/2009 10:43:02 AM] Hi Shane, thanks for your message. Sorry to see you feel this way, but the system is showing your graphics card as out of warranty. Did you manage to test a different card in your system? Kind regards, Shaun.

[ 5/19/2009 4:48:56 PM] Yes, as stated in my original post, I am currently running my nVidia 280 GTX in the same system and it runs fine.

[THOMAS 5/19/2009 5:45:28 PM] Hi Shane, our system shows your card is out of warranty, the SGSA applies between the reseller and yourself. You will need to talk to your reseller regarding your RMA. As our system shows you are out of warranty all I could offer you is a subsidised replacement against your faulty card. Best regards Tom.

[ 5/19/2009 8:21:53 PM] I was under the impression that you offer a 2 year warranty on all XFX cards. My card was purchased on the 7 April 2008. How can it be out of warranty?

[THOMAS 5/20/2009 10:30:11 AM] Hi Shane, The distributors ( XFX`s customer) get up to 2 years warranty with us, due to the vagaries of getting the card through the sales channel and possibly back (for RMA). So we support them with a two year warranty to ensure the reseller provides you with 1 full year. Hope this helps, regards Tom

Back
Top Bottom