web-clones

Soldato
Has anyone else noticed that all websites are beginning to look the same? Every website I go to now is a central white column with a contrasting colour behind it, a horizontal navigation bar and nothing else but text.

Examples:
zdnet
TFL
BBC news
digg

and without the contrast:
The Guardian (ok it doesnt have the contrast but still)
engadget
Orange

Anyone miss how websites used to all look different and were experimental?

Associate
I agree that there is quite a lack of innovation and originality in a lot of web design now days. There seems to be just a few similar styles that just get reused by most of the big sites.

I occasionally point out similarities in the different designs our web designers do where I work, and they get really really wound up by it.

For commercial sites, part of it is intentional, to give the visitors something familiar, and also to keep the search engines happy.

Associate
Design is a subjective thing that depends on the target audience. All the sites you posted are either news sites or information-based sites, where the primary objective is to present the information to the user in a clear and accessible way. For this, a "basic" design such as black text on a white background is exactly what's needed, as it conveys the information well without too many other distractions to the user.

One of my favourite design inspiration sites is FaveUp. There you can see plenty of other sites trying new things with their design. Of course, many of these sites will have a different objective which is why they're more willing to experiment.

Back
Top Bottom