LinuxSMP Finstall help

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Has anyone using Finstall installed two clients on a single VM recently? It's been a while since I did it, so this is driving me nuts -

Finstall does it's thing without any issues and creates the CPU1 folder. I then manually create a CPU2 folder using this set of commands from SiriusB's guide -

Code:
cd ~/foldingathome
./folding stop
mkdir CPU2
cd CPU1
cp fah6 FaH mpiexec ~/foldingathome/CPU2
cd ../CPU2
./fah6 -smp -configonly

I then edit the new FaH file to change both occurances of 'CPU1' to 'CPU2'.

In theory that should give me two SMP clients when I run './folding start', but every time I do so, CPU2 starts as a standard client, without either the expected -smp or -verbosity 9 flags.

This is happening on both VM's every single time I reinstall Finstall, or delete and remake the CPU2 folders.

Please tell me that there's something really simple I've missed, because I used to be able to do this in my sleep :(

Associate
I dunno what the answer is in the automated setup, but I added the flags into the fah_config file in the foldingathome folder and it worked for both CPUs.

Not sure I should be telling you this since you have your Q6600 at 3.9 folding stable :( :p

Last edited:

Cob

Cob

Soldato
OP
Gah I've tried that and now both the CPU2 clients are saying -

Code:
Launch directory: /home/davy/foldingathome/CPU2
Executable: ./fah6
Arguments: -smp -configonly 

[22:41:39] - Ask before connecting: No
[22:41:39] - User name: Cob (Team 10)
[22:41:39] - User ID not found locally
[22:41:39] + Requesting User ID from server
[22:41:40] - Machine ID: 4
[22:41:40] 
[22:41:40] Configuring Folding@Home...

[22:41:58] - Ask before connecting: No
[22:41:58] - User name: Cob (Team 10)
[22:41:58] - User ID: 64C68B6D412E86E5
[22:41:58] - Machine ID: 4
[22:41:58] 
[22:41:58] -configonly flag given, so exiting.

Wtf?

I'll yell at it some more tomorrow. Bedtime.

Associate
One thing I've noticed when editing the FaH file is that when you change CPU1 to CPU2 on the last line of the file, the last part of the line of text drops down onto the next line.

So instead of this -

Code:
$add_pref  /home/jaric/foldingathome/CPU2/fah6 $FAH_flags $FAH_default_flags  $@

It looks like this -

Code:
$add_pref  /home/jaric/foldingathome/CPU2/fah6 $FAH_flags
$FAH_default_flags  $@

It should be all one line of text.

Associate
Fella, go to this thread: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17857464&highlight=fahmon+ubuntu+server

scroll down and set up the samba file server, just make sure you installed it from the server cd first. Then you can make up the cpu2 folder and copy the necessery files using the networks sections of windows explorer. This is how i did it and have no problems, and if you do get problems it's much much easier to sort if out.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
OP
Will do. I usually have the VM's backed up for times like this, but I fancied using Hardy. Still, 4800ppd with just one client per VM ain't too shoddy atm ;)

Cob

Cob

Soldato
OP
One thing I've noticed when editing the FaH file is that when you change CPU1 to CPU2 on the last line of the file, the last part of the line of text drops down onto the next line.

So instead of this -

Code:
$add_pref  /home/jaric/foldingathome/CPU2/fah6 $FAH_flags $FAH_default_flags  $@

It looks like this -

Code:
$add_pref  /home/jaric/foldingathome/CPU2/fah6 $FAH_flags
$FAH_default_flags  $@

It should be all one line of text.

Perfect.

Cheers :)

Cob

Cob

Soldato
OP
Looks in rear-view, looks at 17k lead :eek::p:D

I'll be uping the OC tonight then, and see what the p35 board can do ;)

fahcm4.jpg

;)

Cob

Cob

Soldato
OP
Would be a good idea. That stuff will probably clump together any life that was already in the loop.

1.39v under load sounds a bit high for ~3.2ghz. Tho it should mean that it shouldn't crash tonight.

Back
Top Bottom