Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
the best clay i've used is probably meguiars detailing clay (not the quick clay stuff)

it's twice the price but weighs twice as much so works out the same really

I still find auto-clay better than the megs clay. But as mentioned in the thread previously everyone has certain products they like. :)

Soldato
oh yea and the proper megs detailing clay can also be used with water...and comes with a plastic tub :D

the autoclay is great stuff too though

Permabanned
Anybody have any recommendations for Tar removal? I am planning on getting some Autosmart Tardis but I can only get it in a 5L container so I'm looking for something that I can get in a smaller quantity.

Associate
Did my car a week or so ago... I used

Normal car shampoo to wash
Polished with Swissvax Cleaner Fluid
Waxed with Swissvax Zuffenhausen

The results were stunning! Imperfections in the paintwork disappeared and the car looks like new now. I'd never polished a car before, just washed and waxed, but I am converted. It's pricy stuff tho, and you can kiss goodbye to a whole afternoon of your time...

Soldato
drive to a car wash (not the automated type, the other type) use that to pre-wash your car with the power hose (not the scratchy brush device) then take it home and use a bucket/shampoo/lambswool mitt to wash it...then rinse it with fresh buckets of water I guess

Associate
You can also clay the windows, i have on mine, more so for the sides, as the water just beads so when your driving along, any water on the side windows runs off. i find it really good.

I have found that the megs cly rely good, i use water for the lube, then some QD, removes loads of dirt/tar etc from the car

Soldato
wax over sealant is guff, it results in 2 different types of finishes messing with each other.

sealants give a really crisp finish with crazy reflections and great flake pop in metallic and pearlescent paints.

wax gives a deep glossy wet shine, so when you wax on top of sealant you lose the sharpness and flake pop, meaning the sealant was a waste of time. Some sealants and waxes also don't bond together properly.

HOWEVER, there are some special waxes on the market designed to go on top of sealants, preserving the crisp shine and reflections while adding the depth and wet look, my favourite of these being Blackfire Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste wax.

As for glazes, they do make a different to the finish, laying down a nice base for the LSP and increasing depth and gloss while masking minor defects

Sealants are more pushed for paint protection than show car looks. Sealants are synthetic and consist of wierd things like polymers and acrylics which bond very tightly to the paint surface. It locks in the paint moisture, protects from UV radiation and prevents oxidisation. At the same, as you would expect, it causes rain water to bead off the car. The sealant layer is very thin, much thinner than a carnuba wax. But a sealant can usually be layered to build up a thicker layer. A side affect of sealants is they do give a fairly good glossy finish but that isn't really their main purpose.

Most professional detailers will apply a sealant and a wax. One for protection and one for looks.

Associate
What would be the recommended way to just give the car a quick clean? I'll never get round to doing anything like the above.

At the moment:

Cover car in water and clean off loose dirt
Wash with product 'x' (currently just some old turtlewax wash'n'wax product).
Wash off soap suds
Dry with chamois

What product is best to use and should I do anything differently?

Permabanned
OP
What would be the recommended way to just give the car a quick clean? I'll never get round to doing anything like the above.

At the moment:

Cover car in water and clean off loose dirt
Wash with product 'x' (currently just some old turtlewax wash'n'wax product).
Wash off soap suds
Dry with chamois

What product is best to use and should I do anything differently?

Your wash stuff is fine, but for drying use a waffle weave drying cloth, less swirls and dries the car better.

Associate
Sealants are more pushed for paint protection than show car looks. Sealants are synthetic and consist of wierd things like polymers and acrylics which bond very tightly to the paint surface. It locks in the paint moisture, protects from UV radiation and prevents oxidisation. At the same, as you would expect, it causes rain water to bead off the car. The sealant layer is very thin, much thinner than a carnuba wax. But a sealant can usually be layered to build up a thicker layer. A side affect of sealants is they do give a fairly good glossy finish but that isn't really their main purpose.

Most professional detailers will apply a sealant and a wax. One for protection and one for looks.

Oh good advice, didnt know that at all. Anyone got recommendation for a good sealant?

I am also looking for some decent wax for black pearlescent paint, currently looking at either the dodo juice blue velvet or the collinite stuff which a lot of people recommend. Has anyone had any experiences with the Dodo juice stuff? Are they worth the extra cash?

Soldato
So :

• Soak
  • Wash
  • Clay
  • Condition
  • Polish
  • Glaze?
  • Wax
  • Seal

or do you use sealant after the polish then wax after? :confused:

Also, the great rotary vs random orbital polisher debate; as long as you're not cack-handed you should be ok to use a rotary?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom