• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

More crazy prices - Leadtek this time & worlds fastest card from Leadtek......

Associate
Just thought I'd say kudos to Leadtek for actually coming out with a hardcore factory overclocked card - the vast majority of pre-oc'ed cards tend to either be nothing you wouldn't get from an average card, or some kind of hideously overpriced behemoth with water cooling etc. Leadtek really seem to have pushed the boat out with this one - Core, RAM and shaders all way beyond reference spec, and at an expensive, but not outrageous price relative to other brands.

Would be interested to see some benchmarks from this puppy (Tri-SLI esp), although obviously I won't be getting one myself at that price.

Precisely. Like EVGA's *** card. Overpriced nonsense which you can do yourself.

Soldato
looks like im getting a g280 then ... quick Q : whats the min watt PSU for it ?

Wait some more - the cards have already dropped nearly £170 in two weeks, they'll drop further before stabilising.

Meanwhile, to all those who bought one at launch for £470 when everyone else was telling them they were mad, how daft do you feel now? :D

Associate
even though you pay a premium for new tech £170 for 2 weeks seems crazy. I'd be gutted but then I'd never spend that sort of cash so close to launch.

Soldato
Wait some more - the cards have already dropped nearly £170 in two weeks, they'll drop further before stabilising.

Meanwhile, to all those who bought one at launch for £470 when everyone else was telling them they were mad, how daft do you feel now? :D

I would think anyone who bought a 280 for £400+ which would now buy you a superior clocked Leadtek Extreme will never, ever, buy owt on launch day again!

Man of Honour
Anyone who paid £470 obviously either didn't bother shopping around, or had a particular reason for wanting a specific brand/version. Bear in mind also that the Leadtek won't be in stock until Friday (more than 3 weeks after some people will have got their cards).

That said, they'll still have dropped by around £100 in the space of a month which is pretty unusual.

The reverse happened with the early Wolfdale CPUs, the E8400 came out at around £120 on release in some places, but due to high demand the a shortage of supply, prices rocketed up to around £180 or thereabouts in many places. It's taken about 6 months for the price to finally drop back down to around that level.

Soldato
The reverse happened with the early Wolfdale CPUs, the E8400 came out at around £120 on release in some places, but due to high demand the a shortage of supply, prices rocketed up to around £180 or thereabouts in many places. It's taken about 6 months for the price to finally drop back down to around that level.

Got mine for £120 on release. Was pretty lucky. Hope Intel don't pull that short supply stunt again.

Man of Honour
I nearly got one but talked myself out of it in the end as I didn't really feel it'd be worth the cost/hassle over my [email protected]. In over 10 years of upgrading PCs I've always done mobo+cpu at the same time (slot/socket change) and I can't see myself getting a new cpu on the S775 platform. Something like a 4ghz quad for under £100 might tempt me though of course!

The irony is if I added up all the hours I spent researching and considering hardware, and billed myself at say £10/hour, I'd probably have enough cash to buy half the stuff I 'window shop'!

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Wow - 738Mhz?! I glanced at the 'superclocked' card, but didn't pay it too much mind - maybe I should have!

738mhz must take some serious speed-binning though, as most GTX280s are not hitting 700mhz stable. Many don't hit 650mhz.

Associate
Any mods or employees reading this, did these cards come in today?

I placed my order for the Extreme and specified Saturday 12th as delivery date but my oder info is still showing "In our warehouse queue". I'd like to know if I'll need to wait in for it tomorrow.

Thanks

Associate
Gibbo, is the Leadtek Extreme GT200b core? 55nm version?

Looking at the clock speeds it has to be.

No - the GT200b has not been widely taped out yet. Some of the leadtek 'extreme' cards were sold last week. I think they're just highly speed-binned cards.

But yes, it's impressive. I've never seen such an aggressive overclock on an air cooled retail card before.

Associate
If you haven't had the order dispatched email by now, in my experience it isn't coming... :(

Do something else tomorrow instead is my advice.

In case anyone is interested, I emailed them and the shipment didn't come in. Should be arriving early next week now apparently but I guess we'll see....

Associate
In case anyone is interested, I emailed them and the shipment didn't come in. Should be arriving early next week now apparently but I guess we'll see....

Always take ETAs with a pinch of salt, especially when they are scheduled for the end of the week (this applies to most electronics retailers, not just OcUK).

Associate
No - the GT200b has not been widely taped out yet. Some of the leadtek 'extreme' cards were sold last week. I think they're just highly speed-binned cards.

But yes, it's impressive. I've never seen such an aggressive overclock on an air cooled retail card before.

That's a very nice prospect for the 55nm version then if everything goes as planned :)

Back
Top Bottom