£6192 for 3 new double glazed windows.

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
any one who buys anything from a company who sells their products with someone who looks like this:

bogof.gif

..needs help.

Associate
Why is it that everyone on this forum can get stuff at 1950s prices, i dread to think what a £130 window from Wickes would be like, I have seen Wickes type windows and they are cheap and nasty, for a few quid extra we would supply you a Rehau window

£350 per window for that size is not expensive

I measure for a double glazing company so do know wht i am talking about

Supply only window price say £200
Fitting including materials £80
Measuring £50 or take a chance and **** it up
Paying for a Local council inspection if the fitter is not Fensa reg'd approx £150

That comes out to £1040 wahoo you saved £10

Soldato
We've had a couple of safestyle UK guys come round to give us a quote for a new door, 6 months apart. Both weren't too bad really, they explained why their products were good, showed us acreditation from Humberside police(I think) and explained the way they fitted the windows.

What struck me was they explained that some window fitters don't do a good job use a foam substance around the frame to make it fit and they don't do this. What they didn't know is that all the windows in our house (which were there before we moved in) have a tone of foam around them.

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
Why is it that everyone on this forum can get stuff at 1950s prices, i dread to think what a £130 window from Wickes would be like, I have seen Wickes type windows and they are cheap and nasty, for a few quid extra we would supply you a Rehau window

£350 per window for that size is not expensive

I measure for a double glazing company so do know wht i am talking about

Supply only window price say £200
Fitting including materials £80
Measuring £50 or take a chance and **** it up
Paying for a Local council inspection if the fitter is not Fensa reg'd approx £150

That comes out to £1040 wahoo you saved £10

Get windows supplied your self: £180
Fitting £70/window

Get a fensa registred person to fit and dont mess up messureing:

£750.

Thats a saving not to be laughed at. You have to remember the company you work for has to make a living so their prices will be hiked. This goes with out saying of course but I am wanting this done on the el-cheapo.

Associate
Get windows supplied your self: £180
Fitting £70/window

Get a fensa registred person to fit and dont mess up messureing:

£750.

Thats a saving not to be laughed at. You have to remember the company you work for has to make a living so their prices will be hiked. This goes with out saying of course but I am wanting this done on the el-cheapo.

I get paid a reasonable amount of money not to mess up measuring, but every now and then I do.

Also to get the job fensa reg'd he'd provide an insurance backed guarentee, he wont do this if he is only fitting it, i think he can only get a fensa cert if he is doing the job supply and fit, you will only get it passed if the do a building notice, all a fensa cert does is do away with the need to have a building notice

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
I get paid a reasonable amount of money not to mess up measuring, but every now and then I do.

Also to get the job fensa reg'd he'd provide an insurance backed guarentee, he wont do this if he is only fitting it, i think he can only get a fensa cert if he is doing the job supply and fit, you will only get it passed if the do a building notice, all a fensa cert does is do away with the need to have a building notice

the company which i would get the windows from is fensa registered, if the fitter was too wouldnt that be OK?

http://www.diypvcwindows.co.uk/double-glazing-technical-info.asp#fensa

Man of Honour
Why is it that everyone on this forum can get stuff at 1950s prices, i dread to think what a £130 window from Wickes would be like,

Don't forget that £130 was also for the fitting in one persons post.

However, about 10 years ago we invited about 8 companies round and told them we would give them £200 a window, £350 a door and £500 for a patio door.
One well known company got very close to it but said they couldn't supply a patio door for such a low price.
They fitted our windows and suddenly made the statement that they had been out to an OAP with a patio door but she'd snubbed it because it was marked and we could have it for £500.
I couldn't find a mark on it:)

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Don't forget that £130 was also for the fitting in one persons post.

However, about 10 years ago we invited about 8 companies round and told them we would give them £200 a window, £350 a door and £500 for a patio door.
One well known company got very close to it but said they couldn't supply a patio door for such a low price.
They fitted our windows and suddenly made the statement that they had been out to an OAP with a patio door but she'd snubbed it because it was marked and we could have it for £500.
I couldn't find a mark on it:)

That is very cheap but at very slow periods thw prices tend to go down, also the longer you leave it the more they reduce.

The best/cheapest time to buy is Febuary and this year will be worst so you should be able to name your price, from now till Christmas will be busiest so its best to wait

Soldato

Its a double glazed window, stop trying to convince people that they need to pay more than they have to.
They cant sell the windows unless they conform to the same standards as yours.

The windows on the back of the house were made by clearview and were £400 a shot each.
I also made the mistake of paying £4,500 for windows and doors on the house before that.
Never again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol all you like, thats what it cost.
Windows were something like £90 a piece from wickes.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Windows-PVCu-/Casement-Windows/icat/pcvuwinready
Keep spending buddy.

Or should i say, you keep convincing people to pay.

I know what I'm talking about mate, i do this every day. You get what you pay for, any window + glass + fitting in the OPs size for £130 is going to be utter crap.

These cost £12,000 for 12 PVC sash windows and a window converted to a pair of patio doors :eek:.

sashwindowsfn3.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I know what I'm talking about mate, i do this every day. You get what you pay for, any window + glass + fitting in the OPs size for £130 is going to be utter crap.

So if a window had the following description would it be that far from a decent window? -

#
Manufactured from 70mm high impact PVCu profile
#
Window internally beaded for added security
#
Part F/L/J compliant
#
BBA accredited and security glazed BS7412
#
High impact PVCu confroming to European Agrements and the British Standards Institution
#
Double glazed with 28mm Low E glass units
#
High security shoot bolt locking system

Soldato

These cost £12,000 for 12 PVC sash windows and a window converted to a pair of patio doors :eek:.

Yes i know you make windows.

But you dont need to pay as much as you or your company charge for windows that are perfectly fit for purpose.
Your windows cost so much mainly because you make them to measure and there is a huge amount of labour involved, if people have windows the size that Wickes sell, they will save a fortune.

Associate
And what's wrong with that! We are all cutting back these days so it makes perfect sense not to spend £6k+ on plastic and glass, when less £ will do the same perfectly well.

Back
Top Bottom