*** The new MacBook/MacBook Pro thread, all info in here ***

Permabanned
New Macs! Announced TODAY sometime.

Live stream; http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/14/live-from-apples-spotlight-turns-to-notebooks-event/

New MBP

231653-2008-10-13mbpleak-4_400.jpg

MacBook is currently faceless.

Daring Fireball confirms the leaked MacBook Pro photos from earlier this evening and adds some intriguing details about the new notebook.

Specifically, Gruber confirms that the new MacBook Pros will have "buttonless" trackpad which is made of glass. However, it appears the entire trackpad is one large button:

The new trackpad is similar to the Air’s, in that it is bigger and supports additional multi-touch gestures. But unlike the Air’s, the MacBook Pro’s new trackpad is made of glass, and is a button itself. You just press and it clicks.
In addition, he confirms what some have suspected -- that the new MacBook Pro is not available in matte-finish, only glossy. There will be no new 17" MacBook Pro immediately available, and it's unclear when/if it will be revised. The existing 17" model will still remain on sale but with increased storage/RAM options.

Gruber also confirms that regular MacBooks will be revised and that Engadget's footnote is wrong. The MacBook will contain the same buttonless trackpad and similar case design as the new MacBook Pros. MacBook Airs will be updated with a larger 120GB hard drive and larger 128GB SSD option. He also confirms our report about an $899 24" LED Apple Cinema Display.

CPU speeds are expected to remain about the same across all models, however, the MacBooks will benefit from improved graphics performance with built in NVIDIA 9400M GPUs. MacBook Pros will also contain a dedicated 9600M GT GPU, which should provide a large performance benefit as we've previously detailed.

Finally, Gruber addresses the pricing confusion from today. Apple apparently will only be offering two new MacBook configurations

- $1299: 2.0 GHz, 2 GB memory, 160 GB disk
- $1499: 2.4 GHz, 2 GB memory, 250 GB disk

The existing $1099 2.1GHz MacBook model will apparently remain to fill a $999 price slot but will not have the advantages of the new machines. Gruber was the first to accurately predict the October 14th announcement date for the new Apple notebooks.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/14...etails-clickable-glass-trackpad-gpus-pricing/

Last edited:
Associate
Spoke to a friend last night who works for Apple. As usual they havent been told exactly what is happening on the 14th but they are working late that day and sales/technical support are haveing training.

So what ever is comming, it should be big.

Personally I cant wait. I work at a school and help run a new photography course, and we are looking for a powerful laptop for photo editing. Being a Windows man all my life I am looking forward to trying a Mac, and this presents the perfect oppertunity.

Soldato
Personally I cant wait. I work at a school and help run a new photography course, and we are looking for a powerful laptop for photo editing. Being a Windows man all my life I am looking forward to trying a Mac, and this presents the perfect oppertunity.

I hate to say it but once you have had a Mac there ain't no going back.

Oh as for photo editing my November 2007 MacBook with the Intel GPU runs Aperture and edits RAW images just fine.

Permabanned
OP
I hate to say it but once you have had a Mac there ain't no going back.

Unless you play games, in which case I'd rather have an additional Windows machine for that as you can build great rigs for much cheaper than Mac Pros.

That's what I'm doing anyway, MacBook for some stuff but my PC will always be the gaming machine, Mac desktops don't interest me one bit to be honest.

Soldato
Unless you play games, in which case I'd rather have an additional Windows machine for that as you can build great rigs for much cheaper than Mac Pros.

That's what I'm doing anyway, MacBook for some stuff but my PC will always be the gaming machine, Mac desktops don't interest me one bit to be honest.

Obviously there are some exceptions! ;):p A Mac Pro is not really a gaming rig, is it?

PC Gaming is going to stay on the PC for a long, long time as neither Apple or (most) games developers are interested in gaming on the platform.

Man of Honour
Too much like a MacBook Pro. Unless, of course, the MBP gets a serious bump too.

Again, I doubt this rumor is true.

There are stories of nvidia showign them off to their staff, so there's some credability to it. I think it'll happen this revision or next to be honest, probably good news as it'll mean a big bump to the macbook pro too...

Permabanned
apple have invited the press around their house next week:D

guys my current macbook has a t7400 2.16ghz cpu with 667mhz ram, is it likely next weeks macbooks will give me a serious performance boost?

Soldato
i think im getting tempted to buy a nice little macbook....never thought i would say that

Just do it.

guys my current macbook has a t7400 2.16ghz cpu with 667mhz ram, is it likely next weeks macbooks will give me a serious performance boost?

What is wrong with the one you have? Not exactly slow is it? If you needed the power of a good GPU at the time why didn't you get a MBP?

Permabanned
Just do it.

What is wrong with the one you have? Not exactly slow is it? If you needed the power of a good GPU at the time why didn't you get a MBP?

who said I needed a good gpu:rolleyes:
(oh and MBP's dont have a good GPU anyway)

just waying up all the advantages to see if its worth upgrading after 2 years

+New Styling > my blackbook creeks when I adjust the screen
+1066mhz ram > 667mhz
+better CPU?
+OLED Screens > my one has the clouding effect alittle
+320gb HD in top end > my 160gb is getting a tad full
4/8GB max ram > mine has 2GB supports only 3GB
glass trackpad > works fantastic on my iPhone 3G
battery life improvements?

Back
Top Bottom