*** The new MacBook/MacBook Pro thread, all info in here ***

Soldato
Just ordered the new MBP, will be throwing the current one up on the bay once it arrives ;)

Base config + 4GB RAM, will do me fine.

Also went for the student deal on a nano, will be throwing that on the bay also :D

Soldato
Just ordered the new MBP, will be throwing the current one up on the bay once it arrives ;)

Base config + 4GB RAM, will do me fine.

Also went for the student deal on a nano, will be throwing that on the bay also :D

how much would i get for a 2.33ghz 2gb 160gb Macbook Pro?

Caporegime

I am still undecided about this, I bought mine in Mar this year and the site says Mar 2009 for both phone and hardware support running out. Bought on HE store online. But people here claim to have had their's fixed in year 2 or 3 in similar circumstances. Guess you won't really know until it breaks as the website itself actually doesn't state anywhere that you get this 3 year hardware cover for any HE purchases.

rp2000

Soldato
Damn you Apple. I'm getting that feeling in my stomach, same as when I impulse bought an original MBP back in March 2006.

Off to Mac2Sell to get a price for mine. Must hide credit cards just in case...

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I've always bought via HE discount and ALWAYS gotten an email a few weeks after the purchase saying that my coverage was for 3 years parts and labour, 1 year phone support. Don't forget, they'll say anything to get you to buy the £58 upgrade over the phone.. besides, I've never met an Apple genius that actually knew that much about the products and / or policies that you couldn't find out with some Googling. Applecare can be good if you're intending on keeping the product a few years or if you want the piece of mind so don't totally discount it, but I tend to keep laptops for 6-7months (1 refresh) and get rid, so I've only ever bought it once.

Here is the new education pricing (for those laptops that were refreshed today)

MacBook

MacBook Pro

MacBook Air

*The old bottom-end MacBook used to be £601, now it's +£20 (£620) but that's still for the old plastic casing model which no one in their right mind would order.. the lowest spec "refresh" MacBook is £826, hence my complaint about the poor pricing for HE.

Soldato
I got an HE quote from apple during last week for the mid spec 2.4Ghz MacBook. I wonder would they uphold the quote and send me the new model??

Soldato
I'd have thought that the glass trackpads would be horrible had I not used an iPhone, but I bet they have a great feel to them :)

I am still undecided about this, I bought mine in Mar this year and the site says Mar 2009 for both phone and hardware support running out. Bought on HE store online. But people here claim to have had their's fixed in year 2 or 3 in similar circumstances. Guess you won't really know until it breaks as the website itself actually doesn't state anywhere that you get this 3 year hardware cover for any HE purchases.
It used to state it very clearly on the front page and when you bought it.

Last edited:
Associate
On macstosell it says my MBP is worth around £860....2.4 C2D

Thinking of going for the top end macbook.

Do you think its a good idea going from the pro to the macbook?

Im not fussed about the screen size all i want o be able to do is connect my 30" monitor which they all can do now even the air.

Do you think this is a good idea or not?...Anyone else thinking of doing the same?

Soldato
I use a 1330 at work. Dont think they are in the same league construction-wise. Obviously I couldnt say for certain until I have held the Macbook.
1330 is a solid machine in its own right, but a lot of the batch we have at work seem to be developing faults at a frightening rate.

Well, apple are more expensive so I took into account the aluminium build etc. when I said competitive. But the real problem is that, mainstream laptops are things like Dell's studio range which are cheaper. When your lowest spec laptop is up against someone else's highest specced range, you are going to run into problems when trying to acquire market share.

Soldato
How long ago did you order?

I got my email about 8 months after ordering. It 100% does cover you for 3 years. Had my battery replaced in a MBP for free in year 2.

Back
Top Bottom