Do employers check up on your CV

Man of Honour
It depends on what you are applying for. To lie on an application form where they ask for a breakdown of your degree and for a transcript when you go for an interview, would be the most nooby of nooby things to do ever.

Thankfully my degree breakdown makes it look better than a 'mere' (II.i) :p

Associate
Well, if you lied about something like your degree grade then Im sure they could easily find out. However, if you claimed to have done some freelance work for a year for a certain company that your friend owned then you could potentially get away with it if they backed you up. As long as there were not lots of people in an office who should have known you. I dont know how ninja spy employers can go on these things.

However, it is wrong and the law will find you and stab you in *** face. Mmmk.

Caporegime
It's no wonder that people lie about experience when you have to have it to get a job, yet you can't get experience because every job requires you to have experience leading to an infinite loop.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Chap I know lied on his CV as he was getting nowhere and changed his degree grade to a first. Got him the job and he's quite high up in the MoD now I think lol.

Associate
If you tell a lie on one part of your CV and they find out (I've been caught out before), what reason do they have to believe anything at all on your CV?

Putting a first is definate no-no, first are quite special whereas a 2:1 isn't, and a 2:1 is acceptable for most jobs.

Soldato
Doing a degree for 3/4 years, getting a result that you consider poor, then trying to lie about it would be a pretty sad state of affairs, regardless of getting caught

Associate
As some people already mentioned, they wont bother if the job is lower paid because your past academic and work expertise would matter less anyway. With higher profile jobs, things are likely to be different. Then the employer would check the things that are relevant for the job e.g. degree education, experience in certain industry etc. This means that even if its been lied for something irrelevant on the CV, one would get away with it but it wont help for the job either. I know, for instance, some people who just feel better about themselves by putting a few languages, including English, as being fluently spoken and then 5-6 more as "basic". This doesnt even need to be checked to be seen as rubbish "skills" but then they get overlooked when being irrelevant.

And btw, as something having started with no work experience and not being assisted in getting a job, I can confirm that it is not impossible to start from somewhere and build on it. It just takes patience and hard work of learning how to be well presented when applying.In fact, after all those years since my first job, it gets extremely pleasing to see how easier and easier it gets to end up on newer (and better) jobs as my work history has been steadily improving. I also thought once that it wont happen unless I lie that I had employment history. I even used to hear from people saying to me about being naive when being honest but it turned out to be unnecessary.

Caporegime
I mentioned on an application once that I worked part time for M.I.5. for a laugh.

Having got the job with no mention of this during my interview, about 6 months later, I was told they'd assumed I ment "MFI" !

Last edited:
Associate
I work for a big multinational and when I applied for a graduate job they totally didn't read my CV. I got a phone call the next day offering me the job. I'm all like "you know I haven't actually graduated yet?! It was on the CV!"

I've now worked there three years and I've had many "did you actually read my CV" moments with my boss!

So to summarise, yes you can lie on your CV...but they may not even read your lie!

Soldato
Just started my new job, had to provide proof of my qualifications (degree and A-levels), they also did a full employment history check on me.

Not worth it really if you are going for something careerwise, if its a cruddy job at Debenhams for the weekend then go ahead, but as long as you can breathe properly they will hire you.

Associate
I know personally on my c.v. i've embellished slightly in a few places, no outright lies though.

In my case it's more a lie of omission as i left out a few jobs and changed the dates slightly so it looked like my eployment history was more stable thatn it actually was.

Soldato
I've never had to produce proof af any of my Qualifications either acedemic or professional so for all my boss knows they are all made up! I've also never had an refference other than my previous employer an a personal one taken up so my entire employment history could be bogus. Most employers never chack in depth as it's to much hassle much easier to fire you during your probabtion period if your not up to scratch!

Back
Top Bottom