How much is your rent?

Soldato
Around £575pcm for a 1 bedroom flat in Prague, includes all bills (hot+cold water and electricity) apart from internet .

Also don't have any council tax here thankfully :)

Soldato
Would work out even more a month and I'd be losing equity for the short term. No thanks.

True, but you dont buy in the current climate to make a quick buck. Not going to happen. 3 or 4 years easily. We need to remember that demand for houses is out stripping supply so prices will bounce back at some point and are not directly related to the economy.

It also helps if you have a reasonable deposit which without having to pay rent, many people could manage.

Paying someone else to live in their house? No thanks ;)

daz

daz

Soldato
True, but you dont buy in the current climate to make a quick buck. Not going to happen. 3 or 4 years easily. We need to remember that demand for houses is out stripping supply so prices will bounce back at some point and are not directly related to the economy.

It also helps if you have a reasonable deposit which without having to pay rent, many people could manage.

In purely financial terms, buying a house is a bad move - almost anytime throughout the last 50 years. It's no better an investment than a tracker fund or similar - except a house is an investment fund you're forced to pay into every month or you lose the lot.

Soldato
In purely financial terms, buying a house is a bad move - almost anytime throughout the last 50 years. It's no better an investment than a tracker fund or similar - except a house is an investment fund you're forced to pay into every month or you lose the lot.

This is true. However, in the current climate, buying a house is not a bad move if you want something to call home as interest rates are so poor for general savings, yet attractive for mortgages. I had £3k wiped off a bond since Thursday! :( Today its climbed back £814.57

Sad times.

daz

daz

Soldato
This is true. However, in the current climate, buying a house is not a bad move if you want something to call home

Definitely - you buy a house so that you can make it your home, for the ability to be able to do what you want with it, for the stability of not being able to turfed out when the landlord wants to sell/doesn't pay his mortgage/other random reason, as opposed to any purely financial reasons. Unless you buy at the bottom and sell at the top of course - but then you can do that with any asset that rises and falls in value. :p

Soldato

As oppose to paying a faceless bank more to live in their house?

Thing is you dont know when they will bounce back, I will buy when i fell ready. That alone could save £20k than going out today and getting on 'the property snake'

Soldato
£450.00 per month - unfurnished 2 bed + 'box room' terraced house in the middle of Leicester (10 min walk from centre). Been here 5 years now; at the time of looking for this place there were cheaper places to live, if you didn't mind some grotty place with steel shutters on the windows :rolleyes: There were loads that were 600+ pcm for a terraced house!

I laugh when folk as 'why aren't you living in your own house yet?' Such as it is, neither the other half nor I have an income we could guarantee as lasting for more than 6 months at a time. Even less so now. Paying rent to a private landlord is one thing, being in massive debt to a bank to the tune of some tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds these days is not a prospect I view with much enthusiasm. It's just more pressure financially than we're comfortable with. Had I a long-term full-time job with some prospects and security (yer riiight...security in your employment? pfft) I might see things differently. But without that it's just not worth the risk of it all going pear shaped, never mind about favourable climates for interest rates or housing market prices and all of that other banking industry money generating stuff.

Soldato
As oppose to paying a faceless bank more to live in their house?

Thing is you dont know when they will bounce back, I will buy when i fell ready. That alone could save £20k than going out today and getting on 'the property snake'

No I agree, but this is the thing. I got £35k taken off the purchase price of a new build because the builders needed a quick sale. Easiest £35k I've ever made :)

Soldato
£950 = 2 bed middle floor flat (one floor above and below), new build, Tooting, SW London.

Honestly average, but built like it would blow over in a small gust and the internal partition walls are horrific. Looking for a new place in W. london in the next few weeks as landlady of current place is having mortgage problems.

Soldato
£550 a month, but that's split 3 ways as I share with a workmate and his partner. It's not massive, but it's cheap and well insulated.

Bit of a random house, kitchen on the ground floor, living room is on middle floor with my bedroom (with on suite) then top floor has two bedrooms (one smaller) and the bathroom

3077519654_148d9af2f7.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
My brother pays £330 for a massive fully kitted out apartment in Newcastle...****er.

1 bed apartment in Newcastle for £330? Where?

Oh, and I pay £500 a month for a large 2 bedroom ground floor flat (well, ground floor part of a semi) in High Heaton, Newcastle.

Soldato
2 Bed terraced house, but has storage heaters not central heating :(

£525/month - Suffolk.

I pay the rent & Internet, the missus pays the bills.

Associate
I don't know if you win or lose. :o

Must be a nice place for that price - i'd have gone more central with that budget though. :p

It is a rather pleasant apartment with views of the Thames, Dome, Canary Wharf and the towers in the Square Mile in the distance. I find myself gazing at the view randomly.

I work in the City so it only takes me 30 mins on the DLR to get into work and a 30 minute commute into London is fairly unheard of. It's quiet around here too with a few nice restaurants.

Stupid money though, I agree.

Back
Top Bottom