Define Posh

Soldato
OP
I associate a snob with someone (who may well be posh) that thinks they are superior to "normal" folk. Where posh is a combination of wealth and life style. It's just interesting that I've never met anyone who my friends have classed as posh, that I did not in turn think where posh - so there must be (perhaps just between my social group) a set of norms that we associate with posh, hence why I made the thread.

I don't like it when people say "I just speak correctly". Just because you may have a regional accent that does not mean you do not speak correctly.

Soldato
I'm in agreement with Freefaller here.

I am well spoken - developed through my schooling and university
Parents haven't owned a Land Rover however they do have a Mercedes
I can't stand Football anymore but love watching and playing rugby
I went to public school

However those attributes are things everyone can have or develop, my deep family roots come from owners of land and mainly agricultural occupation and my immediate family have come from a working class background. I think posh is somewhat used as a derogatory term and quite a useless one at that, some might describe my family has posh but I could give you a million reasons to argue against that view.

Naf

Naf

Associate
I associate a snob with someone (who may well be posh) that thinks they are superior to "normal" folk. Where posh is a combination of wealth and life style.

Agreed!

I once went to an 18th birthday do in Harrogate, cost some lass's parents over £5k (idiots) and when she introduced me to her mum (she didn't call her 'mummy', thank god) her face was priceless as she heard my hartlepool/middlesbrough accent. Said mother proceeded to turn her nose up at me in disgust and walk away demanding another glass of champagne...

...Until her daughter then told her that I was the lad she had told her about who lived in a bigger house than theirs, worth considerably more, drove around in a car that was worth more than hers (the mothers) - all of a sudden she became interested and was more than happy to have a conversation.

Stuck up cow, mind you the daughter liked to boast about her parents' cars and house so she isn't any better.

(Just re-read that and it makes me seem big-headed, but you get the jist that she is up her own a**e as if she is completely loaded, but is in fact far from it...)

Caporegime
Posh is being as you are, however that is, and however you and your family speak and live. I would never consider posh to mean anything negative in and of itself. Having said that, a good, rounded education and connections, and a healthy income would not be uncommon.

However, there is the snob.

Snobbery is :
Snobbery is disguised as reason, but works with an additional set of rules. Not only is there a choice based on some set of standards, but being a snob also comes with a sense of superiority based off of those standards. This superiority allows them to look upon those who don't share their beliefs as "less". Whether it's "less intelligent", "less cultured", "less moral", it doesn't matter. A snob is one who uses their standards to place themselves as being better than others
(sauce : http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/index.php?title=snobbery&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1)

IMO.

Permabanned
Her bewbs are about as real as Fox's friendly side

lol.. So true.

jack wills.

jack wills is ultimate fail.

I've even got a posh friend that is into fashion that tell me how **** jack wills is.

jack wills attracts poor people who want to think they are rich and rich people who have no taste a bit like how Lyle & Scott have become.

Neither are 'cool' and I pitty the people who waste their money on being associated to them.

Soldato
lol.. So true.

jack wills is ultimate fail.

I've even got a posh friend that is into fashion that tell me how **** jack wills is.

jack wills attracts poor people who want to think they are rich and rich people who have no taste a bit like how Lyle & Scott have become.

Neither are 'cool' and I pitty the people who waste their money on being associated to them.

w/e - I really don't care how 'fail' you think it is. Their polo shirts are reasonably priced and very comfortable. But the fact is, no other brand gets attentions of student girls in a night club like Jack Wills. They are just drawn to it.

Permabanned
w/e - I really don't care how 'fail' you think it is. Their polo shirts are reasonably priced and very comfortable. But the fact is, no other brand gets attentions of student girls in a night club like Jack Wills. They are just drawn to it.

Just LOL

It only gets attention by other morons. In this case stupid girls looking for rich boys who will buy them drinks in exchange for the possibilty of sex.

Are you at Southampton uni?

Last edited:
Associate
Posh:

someone who gets a brand new car for there 17th birthday - whos unable to drive it
someone who LENDS a mansion for a small video to do with english at GCSE level
someone who spends over £2000 on a 17th birthday party

that there, is the definition of posh!... in Billingham :D

Soldato
Just LOL

It only gets attention by other morons. In this case stupid girls looking for rich boys who will buy them drinks in exchange for the possibilty of sex.

Are you at Southampton uni?

No, Edinburgh.

And seriously, who cares? If buying a shirt makes me look like a 'moron' to some people but it means that all I have to do is wear it, give some chat, buy one or two drinks and I get to go home with some naive fresher, then fine, I'm okay with that.

Soldato
OP
No, Edinburgh.

And seriously, who cares? If buying a shirt makes me look like a 'moron' to some people but it means that all I have to do is wear it, give some chat, buy one or two drinks and I get to go home with some naive fresher, then fine, I'm okay with that.

Wouldn't you rather not look like a berk and pull a girl that actually has a brain?

Soldato
Wouldn't you rather not look like a berk and pull a girl that actually has a brain?

You're really quite bitter if you think that girls who like Jack Wills don't have a brain.

Non-students who wear Jack are totally creepy - I'll throw out all my JW stuff when I graduate. But atm all I'm looking is casual liaisons with cute girls. No brain is really required....

Caporegime

Without wanting to get in to a "he said, she said" thing, there is no other Uni in Scotland where like attracts like in terms of the OP's initial target and the subsequent postings.

You can make of that what you will :)

Back
Top Bottom