Does a car being towed need insurance?

Soldato
This thread is too much. I've got a beat old peugeot in my garage, it needs towing to the scrapper, i was just wondering yanotrsen if you could help my with the following.

first i'd like to remove the front bumper, and weld some sort of A frame to my car, or an a frame, whichever i'm not sure? Following your advice this is legal to tow without out insurance? awesome.

Then i was wondering if you could help me cos i think the brakes need to work? could you get some pipes and some electrics and hook that up for me cheers.

jeez, so glad i don;t have to get insurance now, maybe a trailer would have been a cheaper and better idea, but this method seems great. thanks.

Last edited:
Caporegime
keeptidy.png

Permabanned
Seriously Yantorsen, come back when you've grown up a bit. The advice you give is at best dangerous and wrong and your attitude is that of someone who won't benefit from people with years more experience, insisting that you are always right.

Eventually you will learn, maybe when you lose a limb or get arrested, but seriously, step away from any subject to which you have no knowledge, because posting here makes you look like a burke.

I haven't given any advice! Stop fooling yourself. Maybe you should come back when you've read the thread and not just following the crowd?

Last edited:
Permabanned
This thread is too much. I've got a beat old peugeot in my garage, it needs towing to the scrapper, i was just wondering yanotrsen if you could help my with the following.

first i'd like to remove the front bumper, and weld some sort of A frame to my car, or an a frame, whichever i'm not sure? Following your advice this is legal to tow without out insurance? awesome.

Then i was wondering if you could help me cos i think the brakes need to work? could you get some pipes and some electrics and hook that up for me cheers.

jeez, so glad i don;t have to get insurance now, maybe a trailer would have been a cheaper and better idea, but this method seems great. thanks.

It would be legal if your car was not over 750kg, which it isn't. Also I'm not advising you to do this. I'm saying it's possible. This is pathetic, I never said anyone should do it, I just said it is within the law to do so.

You wouldn't need pipes to do the breaks, just wires and cables. But you wouldn't need either if it was under 750kg

Last edited:
Soldato
No, you started off by advising that this was the best way to do it, then propmtly got told otherwise, and now you are pretending that it was a hypothetical proposal all along. thats pathetic

oh and you would need need brake lines, to pump brake fluid. I fail to see how you would be actuating brakes on a beat up old peugeot otherwise.

Last edited:
Soldato
Comedy gold :p If we had portable suns ..supercharged bmws and novas with arses on the roof . Motors like members market should have a post count (always going up to be slightly above Yants ) .

It beggars belief sometimes the advice (or google results) he comes out with hehe
Maybe we should club together and get him some driving lessons (or a brain ) :p Reminds me of a young Clarkey hehe (sorry mate )

Persil

Caporegime
Really now know it all? What is so hilarious about that?

I do not know it all, I am wise enough to try and learn from my father and other knowledgeable people rather than deciding that I know better than everyone. What you are suggesting is time consuming, dangerous and neigh on impossible to do. Wiring up brakes? Not as simple as that.

I haven't given any advice! Stop fooling yourself. Maybe you should come back when you've read the thread and not just following the crowd?

You did give advice, but now you are just trying to say you weren't being serious because yet again you've been found out to be silly.

It would be legal if your car was not over 750kg, which it isn't. Also I'm not advising you to do this. I'm saying it's possible. This is pathetic, I never said anyone should do it, I just said it is within the law to do so.

You wouldn't need pipes to do the breaks, just wires and cables. But you wouldn't need either if it was under 750kg

Wires & Cables? Brakes work from Hydraulic pressure, there's no way on earth you can join 2 cars braking systems together effectively by using wires and cables.

The OP has asked about an insurance matter and you've turned it into some weird and wacky scrapheap challenge thread where you suggest people weld up old cars and join together hydraulic braking systems with wires and cables.

Just do yourself a favour and give advice and information about things you actually know about and have experience of.

Soldato

Im sorry, have you got amnesia? What was the U-turn about what you were spouting earlier in this thread? Indeed, every thread that has spewed forth in the motoring forum?

Im here as an old sage if you like, offering my advice not in the topic, but about your life in general. Im afraid to say that you are quite obviously lacking in experience, especially in motoring. Have you even passed your test yet? Or for that matter, got your Land Rover, Imp, Spitfire, MX-5 or whatever you are dreaming about this time?

Don't make yourself the target or maybe one day you will have something useful to say and everyone will ignore you. Are you like this in real life? Always defending yourself trying to dig yourself out of holes that you alone have created? Who here has agreed with anything youj've said in this thread?

Stick to photography, you seem to be quite good at that. Don't worry about motors, after a few years of experience, people will take you seriously.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Next door neighbour has just been fined £800 for using an a-frame to tow a smart car (730kg) with their motor home. He showed me the paperwork - 5 items apparently:-

1: Towing an unbraked trailer (a frame + car weighed 760 kg).
2: No emergency brake mechanism on trailer.
3: Exceeded gross towing weight of motorhome (by 10kg)
4: Tail lights on trailer not within 10 degrees of the horizontal plane.
5: Tail lights on trailer non operative.

The tail lights on the motor home are high level ones but it appears the lights have to be on the most rearward panel - in this case the Smart car (which is why it was failed for being non operative).

that sucks. this is standard practice in the US..

lol at this thread.. yantorsen, shut up :p

Permabanned
No, you started off by advising that this was the best way to do it, then propmtly got told otherwise, and now you are pretending that it was a hypothetical proposal all along. thats pathetic

oh and you would need need brake lines, to pump brake fluid. I fail to see how you would be actuating brakes on a beat up old peugeot otherwise.

No I started off saying the following:

yes

unless it's on a trailer, or the car is attached using an A bar.

Which is correct. I didn't advise anything. I actually said he will need tax/mot etc.

Permabanned
I do not know it all, I am wise enough to try and learn from my father and other knowledgeable people rather than deciding that I know better than everyone. What you are suggesting is time consuming, dangerous and neigh on impossible to do. Wiring up brakes? Not as simple as that.

I know you don't know it all, it was a joke.
When did I suggest actually doing it? I said it is possible and if done in a certain way it is legal. I know it'd be very hard and ridiculous.

You did give advice, but now you are just trying to say you weren't being serious because yet again you've been found out to be silly.

Yes, because I seriously thought it'd be a good idea to weld an a frame to the front of a car just to tow it? :rolleyes: Lighten up seriously.

Wires & Cables? Brakes work from Hydraulic pressure, there's no way on earth you can join 2 cars braking systems together effectively by using wires and cables.

You don't need hydraulic pressure just to activate the brakes on the other car. Also wouldn't need to activate the brakes at all if it was under 750kg.

The OP has asked about an insurance matter and you've turned it into some weird and wacky scrapheap challenge thread where you suggest people weld up old cars and join together hydraulic braking systems with wires and cables.

No I haven't. I actually originally said that he would need insurance, and I just added as a random non serious point that you could legally just turn your car into a trailer. It wasn't a genuine practical piece of advice. Which would have been obvious if you read my first post in this thread.

Just do yourself a favour and give advice and information about things you actually know about and have experience of.

I know plenty about cars. But I haven't given any advice, I've given information, correct information at that. I have not at any point suggest that the OP should do this. Everyone is just making it seem like that to have a go at me like usual.

Caporegime
It's a car, it uses it's own brake hoses. You would have to set up an electrical system where when you press the break pedal it activates the brake system on the other car.

You can't just 'activate' the braking system on a car. Do you actually have any idea how brakes work on a car?

Yet again you manage to make yourself sound even more silly.

You're full of crap and now you say you are 'joking'. The only joke in this thread is you.

PS. Use the multi function spamtorsen.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Im sorry, have you got amnesia? What was the U-turn about what you were spouting earlier in this thread? Indeed, every thread that has spewed forth in the motoring forum?

Im here as an old sage if you like, offering my advice not in the topic, but about your life in general. Im afraid to say that you are quite obviously lacking in experience, especially in motoring. Have you even passed your test yet? Or for that matter, got your Land Rover, Imp, Spitfire, MX-5 or whatever you are dreaming about this time?

Don't make yourself the target or maybe one day you will have something useful to say and everyone will ignore you. Are you like this in real life? Always defending yourself trying to dig yourself out of holes that you alone have created? Who here has agreed with anything youj've said in this thread?

Stick to photography, you seem to be quite good at that. Don't worry about motors, after a few years of experience, people will take you seriously.

I am not looking to be "taken seriously" on an internet forum, I honestly couldn't give a monkeys. I also don't want your "life" advice. You seem fairly rude to be honest, so I wouldn't want to turn out like you, no offence meant, just an observation.

There was no u-turn, I have never said it was a good idea, I just said it would make it legal to tow a car without insurance if you used an A frame effectively making the car a trailer. It wasn't a serious point, so it obviously isn't going to be practical or even viable to do in real life. However it would almost certainly be physically possible to do within the law.

Back
Top Bottom