Best Linux Distro for Acer Aspire One?

Suspended
i put win7[7100] and it runs v good and its only got 1 gig ram
but i was thinking of trying moblin any one else tryed it?

Soldato
Renoise, according to its specs page, works with any linux with:

32-bit x68-based Linux distro with GCC 4.X libs, X.org 7.1+, preferably real-time kernel

Not sure if this includes Crunchbang, but as it's built on Ubuntu, which is the most common distro out there, I'd be surprised if not.

I'd give the Eee distro a miss if I were you, as it's compiled with a special, Eee specific kernel.

By the looks of things there's a kernel made for the AA1, which you can download after install to get full functionality; I did this with my Eee a few months back to install Ubuntu NBR on it, and it was really easy; should be a very similar process.

Here's a pretty in depth guide for you; follow it and I can't see where you can go wrong. The nice thing with Netbooks is that each model is standardised, so if someone compiles a kernel that will work with one AA1 it should work with them all without a hitch.

http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/howto/aspireone

Soldato
Thanks, that link is great, exactly the sort of thing I'm after. I'm downloading crunchbang as I type. :)

I've never run Renoise under Linux before as right now I'm using it under XP, but if all goes well I may be able to delete XP from my AA1 for good! :D

Soldato
Thanks, that link is great, exactly the sort of thing I'm after. I'm downloading crunchbang as I type. :)

I've never run Renoise under Linux before as right now I'm using it under XP, but if all goes well I may be able to delete XP from my AA1 for good! :D

I did the same thing with my Eee about a month ago now, made the switch fully to Crunchbang and haven't looked back; it's a lot snappier, and I've had no real problems with it yet :D

Just wish I'd bought the Eee with the larger SSD and Linux now, as I'm not using my XP license anyway :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
i installed ubuntu remix and the interface is very nice. However, youtube vids are choppy. I updated the software and even chucked in an extra 512mb making it now 1gig but its still the same. Reckon i might try this crunchbang...if nothing else the name sounds great!

Soldato
Whats the acer one you got dudes? I notice there are loads of acer ones. I'm only willing to pay £200 max, I still argue that netbooks were designed to be cheap and small with massive battery life. which one do you suggest?

Soldato
Right, I couldn't install crunchbang, for some reason my Acer will not boot from my USB stick, it just doesn't show up when I hit F12. :(

My main machine boots from the stick ok, so it much be the Acer.

Any tips to get it to boot?

Soldato
Right, I couldn't install crunchbang, for some reason my Acer will not boot from my USB stick, it just doesn't show up when I hit F12. :(

My main machine boots from the stick ok, so it much be the Acer.

Any tips to get it to boot?

enable it from your bios? I had to change my dekstop machine, cant recall which setting it was though sorry.

Soldato
enable it from your bios? I had to change my dekstop machine, cant recall which setting it was though sorry.

it turned out to be my USB stick in the end.

I found another 1gig stick and it booted fine from it.

So far tried crunchbang, easy peasy and I've now formatted again and I've just installed Ubuntu 9 UNR which so far seems to be the best for the bunch IMO.

Back
Top Bottom