Who hates the Union Flag?

Associate
I'm reasonably patriotic but I really dislike the design of our flag. Surely I am not alone in this? I almost feel embarrassed by it at international sporting events.

It's nothing to do with the unfortunate nationalistic associations it has picked up, I just find it really brash and tasteless. Why can't we have something interesting like the Welsh or Canadian flag? Or something iconic, simple and understated like the Japanese?

At least we don't have an unoriginal tricolour flag I guess.

Caporegime
It's a flag. It does it's job. :confused:

Although, saying that, I do like Eddie Izzard's idea for a new Northern Ireland flag:

qs4hab.jpg

"Do you have a flaaaag?" :D

Associate
OP
It's a flag. It does it's job. :confused:

Well it kinda symbolises out country so I imagine it has an impact on the worldwide perceptions of out nation. So in that sense I reckon it is reasonably important. And it's very "in your face" and seems a bit dated which I guess is what I don't like. I appear to be very much in the minority at the moment though :D

Associate
OP
I love the Union Jack - no other country has anything like it and it's instantly recognisable even when small (ie cornered on a Commonwealth flag).

It's only the Union Jack when your at sea otherwise it's just the Union flag. although as an Island I guess we are always at sea :p

Back
Top Bottom