All hail Danbo!

Associate
Got contacted out of the blue today by a gallery being set up in Amsterdam of modern photography and digital artwork. Saying that they would like to know more about my Danbo series and discuss hanging some of it in the gallery :D I have sent reply back so will have to see what happens.

Soldato
Got contacted out of the blue today by a gallery being set up in Amsterdam of modern photography and digital artwork. Saying that they would like to know more about my Danbo series and discuss hanging some of it in the gallery :D I have sent reply back so will have to see what happens.

mate that is awsome keep us posted :)

Associate
mate that is awsome keep us posted :)

Got a reply today. In simple terms they want a selection of 4 or so photos which will be printed at a decided size. They will then be displayed and put up for sale at a limited number of 100 or so and featured on the website and in brochures, books, etc. What does worry me tho is that is this a genuine place? or is it "pay us X amount" and I never hear from them again. I am trying to think of a way of finding out or asking if its is genuine without sounding like "your a scam arnt you". The website for the gallery being set up is theredbirdgallery.com .

Soldato
Got a reply today. In simple terms they want a selection of 4 or so photos which will be printed at a decided size. They will then be displayed and put up for sale at a limited number of 100 or so and featured on the website and in brochures, books, etc. What does worry me tho is that is this a genuine place? or is it "pay us X amount" and I never hear from them again. I am trying to think of a way of finding out or asking if its is genuine without sounding like "your a scam arnt you". The website for the gallery being set up is theredbirdgallery.com .

Ask where the gallery will be located and what dates your work will be displayed for as you spend a lot of time in Amsterdam due to business and so would probabaly stop by to have a look. Then mention if you can't make it, could you get a copy of the book.

Why do you think it's a scam? Have they asked for money up front to cover the cost of printing the art work or books? If they aren't asking for money and are happy for you to come along then I probabaly wouldn't be too suspicious. If they are asking for money then I'd tell them where to shove it.

Associate
Ask where the gallery will be located and what dates your work will be displayed for as you spend a lot of time in Amsterdam due to business and so would probabaly stop by to have a look. Then mention if you can't make it, could you get a copy of the book.

Why do you think it's a scam? Have they asked for money up front to cover the cost of printing the art work or books? If they aren't asking for money and are happy for you to come along then I probabaly wouldn't be too suspicious. If they are asking for money then I'd tell them where to shove it.

As far as I see it, I have to pay for the Printing costs and then sales would be split 50:50, although I have sent back a reply to see if this is defienently the case.

I am not very experienced with this sort of thing, what other types of questions should I be asking?

Associate
A reputable gallery really shouldn't be asking you to foot the bill for printing, especially if they have in house printing facilities or if they're going to be taking a share of any sales.

tbh I've never heard of the Redbird Gallery, so I'd definitely try to find out a bit more about them if I were you.

If you decide to let them host any of your images you need to find out exactly what rights to your work they'll have, how else they can use them, and for how long.

It's great that there's an interest in your work greywolf, but you do need to be a bit careful.

Remember, they are your images and they should be lining your pockets...not theirs :)

Associate
Right, ive had an email back and it turns out the gallery does infact pay for printing etc, and that I would recieve 50% of the profit from sales. I will update again once Ive got a few more questions answered.

Associate
On holiday in Japan, had a quick stroll around Akihabara and found a Danboard figure for sale. It's unbranded (no Amazon or 7-11) and 130mm tall. Box quite dusty and batteries leaked a teeny bit, but a quick wipe and I have my own Danbo with glowing eyes! Guess these figures are fairly old/rare now? Cost 2400 yen, so £18 or so.

Soldato
Danbo found his way into my camerabag to Lanzarote :)

danlanz.jpg

danlanza.jpg

Back
Top Bottom