Help on new build please

Associate
Hey all building a new pc was looking at the following

- Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-X 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 LGA775 'Yorkfield' 2.83GHz 12MB-cache (1333FSB) Processor - Retail + Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Game

- OCZ Reaper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) Tri-Channel (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK)

- Coolermaster Gladiator RC-600 Case - Black (No PSU)

-Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B 1TB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (0A38016)

-Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775)

- Samsung SH-S223B/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM

Was wondering which Mobo people recommend? Previously had issues with the foxconn blackops as it was failing to load kept cycling on and off every 3 seconds.

Cheers

Soldato
I put the lot in the first post into the OCUk basket and it came to £620 delivered, but with no mobo or PSU. Adding on a decent mobo and PSU will push this up by £170 to £790 total- I used this as the budget, here is my recommended spec based on this:

782i5.png

Change the cooler to a Corsair H50 if they start stocking the new s1156 mount (or wait for it).

Associate
OP
Sadly I already have all the components I listed and am just looking for a mobo which is compatable with the existing bits and pieces. Like I said initially I bought the blackops one but I had massive issues with it not loading and got a refund so is it best to get the same one or for £100 is there a better option. Cheers for taking the time to knock up that list though mate its really apreciated

Soldato
Ah, when you said "looking at the following" I assumed you hadn't bought them yet.

As you already have DDR3 RAM, I suggest giving "Asus P5E3 PRO" a google, here is a review.

Edit: Apologies for the confusion, I meant the ASUS P5Q3, not the above X38 board I suggested. The review link goes to the correct board.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well I can most likely return the RAM but the rest of it would be a tad harder.
The Asus P5E3 seems very similar to the one I linked.
Either way for £100ish I wonder what I can get from OCers

Soldato
Well I can most likely return the RAM but the rest of it would be a tad harder.
The Asus P5E3 seems very similar to the one I linked.
Either way for £100ish I wonder what I can get from OCers

The P5Q3 uses the P45 chipset, as opposed to the X48 on the one you linked to. The P45 is a newer chip and is better for overclocking, that review I linked to shows the P5E3 doing very well compared to an X48 board. If you plan on upgrading to i7 (X58 platform) then I suggest holding onto the RAM and using 2 of the sticks in a P5Q3 board. If you don't plan on this kind of future upgrade then I suggest returning the RAM via DSR and getting the RAM linked below.

If you want it from OCUK, the I suggest you go for this board. Its a solid overclocker and has plenty of features. However, it uses DDR2 RAM, so you will need to buy some stuff like this.

Edit: My mistake with the names, I was meaning the ASUS P5Q3 - the DDR3 p45 board.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Argh im in between a rock and a hardplace! the one i linked was recommended cos of how good it is to overclock + iv got the DDR3 ram. I was just so frustrated with a miscellanous error with it not booting that I sent it back. It may just be that the one i got was faulty and a new blackops one would be fine and get my pc up and running

Soldato
I just had a look at this thread, I hope its Ok to link to this but it is very informative. Take home message: Foxconn blackops was not shipped with the updated BIOS to run a Q9550.

Maybe you could ask OCUK to flash the BIOS for you so it will work right off the bat.

Back
Top Bottom