Cleaning a PC?

Soldato
What do people use to clean their PCs if it is excessively dusty? Like proper giant clumps of dust.

My friend has a silly amount of dust like 2mm thick on the pcb of his gpu. :/ I need to clean it for him. Just wondered where I could get these cleaning stuff aswell. Would a lens cleaner with its little brush be a good tool?

RJC

RJC

Don
I use my dad's air compresor every so often.

Do it outside like Lecro mentioned, surprised how much dust comes out.

Soldato
OP
Urgh it's going to be a pain, he doesn't live in a very 'nice' place... Top floor of a flat and well it's not exactly friendly.

I thought about compressed air.

Associate
If you have to clean it in the flat then try putting it in the bath (empty) and use a paintbrush.

Might be a bit awkward but a lot easier to clean up afterwards without getting dust everywhere.

Soldato
OP
I'll be using the hoover don't think it has any soft brushes with it though. Just for getting the hard dust of as the hoover doesn't get that off.

Soldato
OP
He got the pc two years ago and hadn't opened it since. And it has like a huge fan on the side. :/ I think it's above 120mm. It's BSOD'n and I looked inside and died a little...

Soldato
A huge air compressor that used to nearly blow my 16kg armor over...

Unless your doing it outside Id say use a compressor to blow the dust and a hoover outside the case to quickly suck the dust from the air.

Associate
Why would a vacuum cleaner generate any more static than compressed air? And surely any static would be grounded anyway if you left the power cable plugged in (switched off, obviously :p).

I use a vacuum cleaner (but not often enough), it does the job mostly.

Associate
Can of compressed air is the sensible answer but for the past 10 years i've been using the smallest brush end on the nozzle of my hoover and never had any problems ever, roughed it up pretty bad a few times too, even worked on my deconstructed and exposed psu. It's your shout.

Back
Top Bottom