Pre built, worth it?

Associate
Long time lurker first time poster. Hi.

I've been looking to build my new gaming rig (1680x1050 res) for several months now and due to the soon(ish) release of MW2, I'm going all out on a rig that will last me a good couple of years.

So, this was my first rough idea:
Clipboard01-2.jpg

Then I thought that I could be lazy and go with something built by OCUK's, so, I started looking at these:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?&groupid=43&catid=1270&subid=1443&sortby=priceDesc

I'm quite tempted by the Raptor as it has x2 5870's plus adding an SSD and if the recent Nvidia (so called) tradegy is anything to go by, I'd be happy moving onto ATI.

The third and final, bear with me, is this one pulled off another thread on these forums:
1500.jpg

That looks quite tasty as it includes the SSD.

Soooo, what do I buy?

I've got monies to burn and would say 1500squids is a fair budget too.

Cheers for reading guys. :)

Soldato
I'd go with the first build and put a 5870 in there instead of 4890s, and a SSD aswell. Only reason I choose first is because you can put a 6 core cpu in that mobo, with Intel you'll prob have to buy a new mobo too - if you aren't bothered about that then the intel.

Last edited:
Soldato
If I had £1500 to spend, I wouldn't be spending any of it on an AMD chip, core i7 all the way ;)

For the current time yeh, but thinking about upgradability - the new 6 core chips will cost enough without having to spend upwards of 200 quid on a new mobo. Thats reason enough for me to go with AMD. The 965 is competative with the 920 anyway.

Soldato
For the current time yeh, but thinking about upgradability - the new 6 core chips will cost enough without having to spend upwards of 200 quid on a new mobo. Thats reason enough for me to go with AMD. The 965 is competative with the 920 anyway.

who the hell is going to use 6 cores in the next couple of years?

Soldato
who the hell is going to use 6 cores in the next couple of years?

lol judging by the new tech junkies on here, probably quite a few people. People are buying 2x 5870's only to talk about replacing them with the GT300s upon release (although thats likely changed with recent news), you don't think the same people are going to jump for 6 cores asap?

Soldato
Haha ye no doubt. Reckon the OP should still just go with the best he can get now and not worry about 6 cores though as theres no way that games a couple of years down the road will be threaded for them.

Back
Top Bottom