Dogs and Smelly Houses

Soldato
OMG dont know what it is but everyhouse ive visited with dogs it absolutly reeks. Went to pick up a 2nd hand case from a couple in manchester, well off couple, young, smart but as soon as i walked in just bam like a wall of smell that you could taste. Couldnt breath through nose and didnt want to breath through mouth so basically left chokeing!!

Like they were just sitting there like normal as if there was no smell, i didnt want to be rude so just sat there and didnt mention it. Got used to after a bit which i am guessing they are.

Anyone with dogs have similar problems? and what precautions do you take?

ahh can still smell it now - on my clothes

Soldato
You can tell when people have dogs as you can smell it as soon as you enter the house. If you live in it then you won't notice it unless you're away for a while because like any smell you get used to it after a short while. The strange thing is that the smell can stay around for years after the dogs have gone. Similar things with cats but it's less noticeable, especially if your cats are outdoor cats.

It's the same deal as smokers, any non-smoker can notice if someone has been smoking or if a house/car is owned by a smoker.

Associate
The owners probably don't notice the smell because they are use to it and so the brain blocks it out. This is also why people with bad BO don't notice it as much.

I do remember smelling some sheets that a Dog that was long dead use to sleep on and the smell was gag inducing.

Man of Honour
Wet dog can indeed be a horrendous smell but outside of that situation a healthy dog should not smell bad, it will have an odour which may not be something you are used to as a non-dog owner but I don't find the smell at all unpleasant most of the time.

Soldato
every dog owners house I've ever been into stinks of mutt.
Hate it with a passion and would never own a dog because of this..

Soldato
OP
Glad its not just me!! I mean even the owners of the house after coming back from work etc must be able to smell it. I know i wouldnt have anyone round with my house smelling like that, would be ashamed..atleast opnw a window

Caporegime
Not all houses smell of dog if you have a dog, although some smell nasty a lot don't (however we do have a dog so may be used to the smell sometimes so no comment on what our house smells like).

On the other hand houses with cats in stink!

Caporegime
Do these people wash their pets? My mum has a dog and the house doesn't smell. I'm not there a lot of the time but when I go to visit I can't even smell the dog unless I go up and sniff him, even then he doesn't stink.

Man of Honour
Not all houses smell of dog if you have a dog, although some smell nasty a lot don't (however we do have a dog so may be used to the smell sometimes so no comment on what our house smells like).

On the other hand houses with cats in stink!

No, you’ve got that wrong they don’t stink or smell at all. What you perceive to be the smell is actually the smell of your dogs on you. :p

Associate
Every house that I have been to with a dog has smelt awful. Even when the owners claim to have their dog regularly groomed you cannot disguise the foul smell. Cats and fish tanks for the win.

Back
Top Bottom