Wikileaks releases apache footage.

Associate
absolutely shocking. :( just sick....

They said they had rpgs and ak47s. Anyone here see ak47s and rpgs....... unbelievable attitude of the US soldiers as well......

Yes, there was deff 1 gun I saw and what looked like a guy setting up rpg on the corner. Though obv its not great video quality and I'm not trained to spot these things.

I dont know if they were insurgents or not, but if they were are you not glad that they got stopped before they killed our troops? As for the kids I feel that all too often they try and hide behind civilians, woman, children. Camp out in public buildings etc, yes its cover but it is their choice where to hide while "protecting" their people.

Sad that innocent people get caught in the cross fire.

Permabanned
Hindsight is great isn't it.
Shame most of the people shouting from the rooftops about how bad it is can't take it on face value.
You've been ordered to take out people with weapons
They identified what they THOUGHT were weapons
They caught a guy with what LOOKED like an rpg hiding round the corner of a brick wall.
They asked for permission to engage, with evidence as they believed they saw.
They engaged and took them out.

That's what you ****ing do in war... kill people or be killed
Sometimes you **** up and kill the wrong people, it's a damn stressful place to be that's for sure. **** happens.

Sorry but for all the good this wiki leaks do, the video just seems like as great big spun up media frenzy, almost something like greenpeace would do..

Let's not forget one thing: the most disgusting part of this whole video is that pentagon tried to cover it up for three years. And this probably came out just because two journalists were involved. God knows how many similar cases there are where the only ones dying are simple civilians and nobody will ever do anything to show the truth.

Edit- And they also said there were being fired upon to get that permission. which they certainly were NOT.

Last edited:
Associate
I would like to know why the op isnt posting pictures of insurgents detonating sucide bombs in markets then crying outrage?

I love these videos that cut off the beginning of the event, which usually shows why the event unfolded in such a manner.
Yes i am sorry that "innocent" parties may have died, but they were their to photo war pictures and knew the risk.

Associate
I watched the whole video and came to my own conclusions.

The initial firing at the 'targets' with AK47s and RPGs I can forgive as the video is unclear and the items being carried do look weapon-ish and the crowd do appear to be hiding behind a wall of a compound. My clear aggument is with the firing at the minivan. Why was it fired at? It posed no observable danger to coallition forces.

No weapons were seen/mistakenly seen in the minivan and it was fired at. Even IF the initial firing was at insurgents the minivan appears seperate and could not have been placed as a risk/target with the actions it and the occupants took.

FluffySheep

Associate
It's not good but im not shocked or surprised by the video.

Funnily enough I have been reading a book about the Iraq war from the view point of an Apache pilot. They said at the start of the war they could only open fire if the ground forces or they were fired upon. He said when he started his second tour he could fire upon people for suspicous behaviour,suspected enemys (inc spotters for mortar attacks etc...) or just enemys in general even if they are not shooting anyone.

Dont jump on me it's what I have read and it was based from 2006.

Associate
It's war, what do you want them to say? They are trained to kill, so they are hardly going to be crying before they pull the trigger.

"Come on Buddy, All you gotta do is pick up a weapon" < When a guy is trying to crawl away.

"Ha Ha Ha They just ran over a body"

"Come on let us shoot" < While they are trying to pick up bodies.

These comments just don't show professionalism. Seems to me that they are trigger happy.

Soldato
I think the issue that is being taken is less to do with the direct actions of the soldiers (it's war, mistakes happen sometimes) but more with exposing some of the lies the US government came out with to cover it up.

Soldato
"Come on Buddy, All you gotta do is pick up a weapon" < When a guy is trying to crawl away.

These comments just don't show professionalism. Seems to me that they are trigger happy.

Its less likely trigger happy, and more likely they are desensitised. Which considering the situation they are in daily. is understandable.

These videos arent meant for the public eye, The chatter and actions over there could never be understood by anyone not in the situation.

Permabanned
I would like to know why the op isnt posting pictures of insurgents detonating sucide bombs in markets then crying outrage?

I love these videos that cut off the beginning of the event, which usually shows why the event unfolded in such a manner.
Yes i am sorry that "innocent" parties may have died, but they were their to photo war pictures and knew the risk.

So because someone agrees to take pictures of a war its fine to mow them down from a helicopter? I might go out and stab a police man as they knew the risks which came with the job.

Soldato
Its less likely trigger happy, and more likely they are desensitised. Which considering the situation they are in daily. is understandable.

These videos arent meant for the public eye, The chatter and actions over there could never be understood by anyone not in the situation.

I'll quote this again as his l337 keyboard skills are quicker on the trigger than mine and I couldn't have said it any better either :D

Soldato

No, this shows that they are killing machines doing what they have trained for with no compassion .
Maybe you would want bearded social workers parachuting into Iraq to try and discuss mutual respect over a cup of tea and biscuits? Well, just vote Labour again and that may be all WE have left...

Associate

Fair points. It just struck me how casually it was discussed but I can see your point of view.

Soldato
I found that pretty disgusting to be honest. I can sort of understand how it could happen, but still. The way the pilots are so laid back as well. They are so far removed from everything, just looking at their littel black and white screen.

I bet it would be a fair bit different in temrs of attitude from a british helicopter. Laughing at some bloke dying on the curb. that is ****** up

Soldato
Except they were reporting over the radio that there was a group of people with assault rifles and rocket propelled grenades... when in fact there were a few people, in a larger group, holding things... not identifiable weapons, just things. (As they there seems to have been reporters caught up in this, one would have to assume they are cameras with lenses, or whatnot).

Anyway, the higher ups are obviously going to give permission to fire if that erroneous information is all they have to base a judgement on. I don't think it's fair to blame stress, in this instance; it's not as though they were under fire, so they should have taken the time to confirm any suspicions... they had pretty good zoom on their camera, didn't they?

And as the RPG hits the 'copter as they are discussing the potential threat...

Soldato
Are we surprised? The majority of the American Forces/Americans, for shame, hardly have a good reputation.

I'm reminded of when A-10 pilots shot the the **** out of a British convoy - despite friendly Orange panels and from HQ: "You have friendly armour in the area, be advised."

However, they shoot up convoy and spill British blood: "I'm going to be sick. Ah ****! Yeah this sucks. We're in jail dude".

Back
Top Bottom