• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i3-530, i3-540, i5-750, or AMD

Soldato
Not going to convince me for AMD at the moment lol
No problem! :) . . . I wasn't trying to convince you, I was showing you what £250 would get you!, Built in graphics (IGP), fast quad core, upgradeable, why would you spend a penny more! :p

I can only imagine your getting overloaded by technical babayaga and have "throttled" your selection in the same way a processor "throttles" it's speed when it gets too hot! . . . . give us a shout if you change your mind! :D

Associate
OP
No problem! :) . . . I wasn't trying to convince you, I was showing you what £250 would get you!, Built in graphics (IGP), fast quad core, upgradeable, why would you spend a penny more! :p

I can only imagine your getting overloaded by technical babayaga and have "throttled" your selection in the same way a processor "throttles" it's speed when it gets too hot! . . . . give us a shout if you change your mind! :D

I stand corrected, I didn't realise that it had built in graphics. Now you really are confusing me...AHHH

Soldato
I'm not confusing you! :p . . . oops sorry I forgot to say . . .

Welcome to OcUK forums! :)

please read the forum rules and enjoy your stay

yellowplum, I know "exactly" where you are atm and I don't envy you, it's hell when your presented with almost unlimited choices. some people cope with it better than others! . . . I understand all this technical babayaga stuff and I can relay this to you in simple terms, whether you go for AMD or Intel makes no difference to me, I just want to help you make an "informed" choice and hopefully save you some £££ :D

take your time as by the sounds of it your gonna be lumped with this system for a while! :cool:

Associate
OP
Ok let me twist it another way then - just to confuse things even more - If I was to get a i5-750 what mobo would you get with it? Would it be a P55 based mobo? What graphics card would you recomend to go with it?

Associate
zionman2010.gif

Exactly what I just bought.
Much better than my ageing Sempron:D

Caporegime
Ok let me twist it another way then - just to confuse things even more - If I was to get a i5-750 what mobo would you get with it? Would it be a P55 based mobo? What graphics card would you recomend to go with it?

This question has already been answered in this thread.

Either take point on the response,accept the advice or move on.

No need to ask again....Just read the thread again.

Associate
OP
This question has already been answered in this thread.

Either take point on the response,accept the advice or move on.

No need to ask again....Just read the thread again.

You didn't quite answer it in full as I was asking above, I was trying to obtain a cost comparison to see how much more you would spend on an i5-750 unit compared to an i3-530 that you have also recomended.

I heeded your point of only buying a H55/H57 board for the i3 and not over spending because of the difference in the processor is only around £50-£60 however you didn't specify what type of GPU you would place it in.

and this is my concern....

because you will end up spending a great deal more. It isn't just the different Mobo, CPU but it also means spending out on a GPU at an increased cost so the £50 more becomes £150-£200 more.

On a slight different note, RAM -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-180-OC&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1517

or

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-181-OC&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1517

Soldato
Because the ECO modules are just so much better. THey are rated 1600MHz 7,8,7,24 at only 1.35V

With 1.5-1.65v they can do really great things...remember that with i5/i7 you are limited by a maximum of 1.65-1.7v for 24/7 use.

Caporegime
You didn't quite answer it in full as I was asking above, I was trying to obtain a cost comparison to see how much more you would spend on an i5-750 unit compared to an i3-530 that you have also recomended.

Post 2 of this very thread answers this

I heeded your point of only buying a H55/H57 board for the i3 and not over spending because of the difference in the processor is only around £50-£60 however you didn't specify what type of GPU you would place it in.

Post 9 in this very thread I suggest what GPU

and this is my concern....

because you will end up spending a great deal more. It isn't just the different Mobo, CPU but it also means spending out on a GPU at an increased cost so the £50 more becomes £150-£200 more.

Read post 9

Associate
if im on a budget and want something with lots of future potential, id go with a high end mobo, and skimp on the rest until i can afford to replace them.

ie, my sig rig did have a sempron in when i first got it...

Associate
if im on a budget and want something with lots of future potential, id go with a high end mobo, and skimp on the rest until i can afford to replace them.

ie, my sig rig did have a sempron in when i first got it...

How long do you think the P55 boards will be good for? If they are already using the X58 chipset and a different socket for i7s wouldn't they quickly move on to those?

Sorry, I don't know much about chipsets. I'm in the same position as the OP and trying to make it easier to do a slight upgrades. Cheers.

Associate
OP
I ordered the Asus H57 based bored (P7H57D-V EVO) in the end, with the i3 530 and a new WD 640GB Sata 6Gb/s HD.

Counting down the days for the board to arrive...

Still not sure about the RAM I have since it is end of line and the board isn't supposed to officially support it.

Soldato
To be honest, I think you should spend £50-£65 extra and get a i5 750 CPU instead.
Sure i3 530 is a nice and fast CPU that can overclock quite nicely, but in the end it is still a dual-core CPU not Quad.

More and more games are taking advantage of using the extra cores, and I would hate to see a 5870 get bottlenecked by a dual-core in some heavy geometry/terrain or CPU dependent games.

A i5 750 on that motherboard can overclock to 4.13GHz:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/02/01/asus-p7h57d-v-evo-motherboard-review/3

Associate
OP
To be honest, I think you should spend £50-£65 extra and get a i5 750 CPU instead.
Sure i3 530 is a nice and fast CPU that can overclock quite nicely, but in the end it is still a dual-core CPU not Quad.

More and more games are taking advantage of using the extra cores, and I would hate to see a 5870 get bottlenecked by a dual-core in some heavy geometry/terrain or CPU dependent games.

A i5 750 on that motherboard can overclock to 4.13GHz:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/02/01/asus-p7h57d-v-evo-motherboard-review/3

I only paid £79 for the i3-530 so it's a bit more to spend to £150 for the i5-750 :D

Back
Top Bottom