PC gaming expense ?

Associate
unless you've got a decent TV then consoles are rubbish - got rid of my xbox some time ago (though have since got it back - long story) so now I have a ps3 with decent tv and it's much better, however...

games are expensive, i refuse to pay 40 or 50 for a game so as a consequence don't have many. plus (rant time) i wanted to play some Dirt2 the other day (new game) so here comes a console update that cannot be skipped - 10 minutes later it's installed. right, time to play the game - oh no, another update, again unskippable - it goes downloads, installs and fails, try again (can't play the game yet without the update) fails again, eventually on the third try it worked. so for "instant" gaming action it took nearly an hour to sort out.

however, for having a laugh when the lads are round, playing the type of games I don't play on the pc the console is excellent. but if i had to choose I'd go pc.

Soldato
Funny this… But in this thread http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18137819 I quote –

“So either way for a complete PC to play games on £500 just isn't enough i'm afraid.”

PS3 is £250, you can buy second hand games and IMO console gaming is more easily accessible and more affordable to the masses and hence why PC’s are seeing such an influx of Console ports, and albeit sorry to say this is now the new erea of PC gaming..

Not to say the PS3 or even Xbox360 is infallible. The PS3 as pointed out is hardly a quick pop the DVD (or blu ray) in the drive and play the game… You need to install the game, patch the game, set the game up… Still, comparable to a PC, at least it’ll eventually work and not ‘maybe’ work…

For me, PC gaming is still a good way to play games.. Its just consoles are just so more easily affordable from the offset… A decent gaming PC still, and will for some time cost up to three times as much as a console (taking into consideration its not a launch console – ie PS3 at £500…!!)

Soldato

On the other hand, i can spec something comparable to the rig i'm using at the moment for less than 400 pounds. And i certainly didnt pay even that much for it :p plus it plays all the games i own (modern as well :p) at the resolution of my monitor (1280x1024) (yes even crysis). But it also provides 50x the functionality of any 360 or PS3 slim well beyond gaming

At least with the chunky PS3 you have some options with respect to Operating system which will boost functionality, but still you're restricted in hardware options and ultimately it'll just never be as useful as the tower, monitor, keyboard and mouse.

People on the forums sometimes have a skewed idea of a computer which will "play games" though, and i'm probably guilty of this at times myself ;)

Soldato
from what i can say in my circumstances, PC gaming is "as expensive as you make it!"

sure if you want max everything and want to upto date in everyway.....you will pay for the privelage, but despite what some people say, you can build a pretty quick machine for not a lot of money

my machines stands me at 200-300 at a max i reckon and there isnt much i cant run at good FPS and prettier than my 360!

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
40 inch HD Telly + 360 120gig/Games around a Grand with everything.
My PC E6600 @3.4ghz + 4890 + 4gig + Benq/Games around 500 quid. Sorry what was your Question again ? :p
On top of the above when I am not gaming my 360 sits dead where as with my PC I use that to Capture pasty for the Royal Smashing. :D

Soldato
ehheh that's what i get for not keeping up and not fully reading my own sources :p cheers for the heads up on that. Anyway, just strengthens my earlier post :D

Due to this feature being removed, Geohot claims having created a Custom Firmware for the PS3 called 3.21OO that re-enables OtherOS and has published a video of his Custom Firmware for the proof.

a bit up in the air then?

Caporegime
I'd highly doubt he would ever release it to the public to make it a viable option, and it's a breach of the PSN T&C's so would probably result in a banned console.

Caporegime
Also, if time is money then £1500 is a small price to pay for the amount of your life you will lose waiting for the ps3 to load a game level.

I sold my 360 and bought a PS3 on the off chance that it may curb my enthusiasm for pc games e.t.c. but if anything it has made me appreciate them more. The load times, awful image quality, low resolution, rubbish framerates and inferior online have made me hardly play it. I only really use it for a living room media player/blu ray player. Uncharted 2 is good though...thats about it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom