Do you read the manual when you get a new car?

Soldato
Whenever I get a new car one of the first things I do is read the manual practically cover to cover. I enjoy reading it, for me it's part of the enjoyment in getting a new car.
I seem to always find a couple of little things that I'd have never discovered unless I've read the manual.

Do you read the manual or does it just stay in the glove box until you need some info like tyre pressures?

Soldato
Yes, you always find things out that come in handy, like I was going to remove the whole headlight unit to replace indicator bulbs when all I had to do was put on full lock and remove the plastic cover :o

Man of Honour
No.

If I can't work out the functions of the car then I should downgrade to something simpler tbh.

A car is probably the most complicated thing you'll buy, especially more modern ones. I always read the manual, it's part of the enjoyable car buying process, and you tend to find out little bits and bobs you'd otherwise not have known. Not everything is obvious, especially if you don't even know to look for it.

Man of Honour
No. That is crossing the line between an enthusiast and the car equivalent of a train spotter.

One of the features of my car is that the button marked 'Max', which blows max air out of the blowers, turns into a Rest function when the engine is off, where it will continue to heat the car using residual heat. Nowhere on this button is its function marked, and it's not advertised as a key feature in the brochure.

Without first reading about it online or in the manual, how would you ever know the car does that?

But I forgot, its macho-cool to not read manuals.

Man of Honour
I've learnt loads of little features of my car from reading the manual that I had no idea existed until then.

Pressing buttons at certain times, or certain things accesible from the OBC.

Plus, I actually quite enjoy reading the manual when you first get a car

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;17030998 said:
One of the features of my car is that the button marked 'Max', which blows max air out of the blowers, turns into a Rest function when the engine is off, where it will continue to heat the car using residual heat. Nowhere on this button is its function marked, and it's not advertised as a key feature in the brochure.

Without first reading about it online or in the manual, how would you ever know the car does that?

But I forgot, its macho-cool to not read manuals.

It's one thing to admit that you can find out hidden or not so obvious features by reading the manual. But to describe it as "an enjoyable part of the purchasing experience" is, in my eyes, the car equivalent to train spotting.

Necessary != Enjoyable

Soldato
I'd read my manual within the first week of owning my car.. Found out a few useful little things, like holding the auto button on the climate control links both zones so they can be controlled on the drivers side only.

Back
Top Bottom