What torque wrench?

Commissario
It looks like we're going to be teaching my nephew some car maintenance, and whilst we've got pretty much everything else we're likely to need (sockets out the wazoo, loads of spanners in every size imaginable etc), but what we don't have is a working torque wrench*.

So, does anyone have a recommendation for a torque wrench suitable for things like brake nuts/bolts and the like?

Budget is variable, I don't think we'll be needing it much, but I'd prefer to pay a little extra for a better tool.

*or if we do, it's not with the spanners/sockets, or screw drivers, nor the jacks etc.

Man of Honour
I'm a snap-on person tbh. It's what I've always used. I'd also go for a range to cover all the torque setting you'll need rather than one large one as they tend to be inaccurate at either edge of the scale.

Soldato
I'm a snap-on person tbh. It's what I've always used. I'd also go for a range to cover all the torque setting you'll need rather than one large one as they tend to be inaccurate at either edge of the scale.

£200 on a torque wrench for occasional use is a great recommendation!

Associate
Just go for a halfords professional one.

For £79.99 its fairly reasonable for an occasional user, plus the lifetime warrenty.

Also the torque range is 60-300Nm which is a good allround range to have

Commissario
OP
snap-on is definitely a little too expensive given it'll probably only be getting used once or twice a year if that ;)

The halfords one sounds better but possibly still a little expensive:) (but doable)

Soldato
£200 on a torque wrench for occasional use is a great recommendation!

Snap on Torque wrenches aren't nearly as expensive as most people think, certainly not when they are on special offer.

I picked up my Blue Point (Essentially Snap On's "cheaper" brand) 3/8 Torque wrench for actually less than the comparable Halfords professional offering, and the Blue Point has a much higher range of Torque settings. Might be worth a look.

Soldato
halfords and friend with trade card :)

bear in mind you get a tenner voucher back when you spend over £50 the now so at least you'll get somethign back :)

Soldato
Snap on Torque wrenches aren't nearly as expensive as most people think, certainly not when they are on special offer.

I picked up my Blue Point (Essentially Snap On's "cheaper" brand) 3/8 Torque wrench for actually less than the comparable Halfords professional offering, and the Blue Point has a much higher range of Torque settings. Might be worth a look.

I've got a blue point wrench, but it isn't snap on its blue point. It's nice, but its not snap on quality, don't pretend it is. Much high torque settings also generally means it won't do lower torque settings, and lower torque settings are just as important as higher ones, you need to have the right tool for the job not the biggest one!

Soldato
I recently bought a Draper 30357 Micrometer which seems very good quality and will mostly be only used for tightening wheel nuts. It certainly feels well constructed and gets decent reviews plus comes with a handy blow mount storage case :cool: Assuming you set it to the lowest torque after use and don't use it as a breaker bar it should remain fairly accurate. It has a range of 30-210Nm/22.1-154.9lb-ft so should cover a wide range of jobs and for just under £20 delivered you can't go wrong :)

Soldato
I have the big daddy halfords half inch square drive one, its pretty good but don't really get to use it that much as its so big, and only really things like hubnuts are that tight. THe one I use most often is a Teng 3/8 drive. Had it for over a year now its very good. Only 30 or so quid of the bay of fleas. iirc does 20-110 nm

Soldato
I bought a cheapo Silverline one from eBay and it works brilliantly.

Was about £25 delivered.

Have you checked it/had it calibrated it to make sure its working brilliantly?

I have a pair of Teng torque wrenches, a 3/8" and a 1/2" to cover all the torques!

Soldato
I bought a Draper one and after about 6 uses it'd started to come apart. I don't have much confidence in it's torque ratings so I'd probably avoid it and get another brand :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Halford pro, these days its a bit better/wierder as all the torque wrenches are the same price and they never used to be.

get the 60-300 larger one as said, used to be about £130 iirc.

they are good and easy to use. never had any problems, just away to use it the now.

:)

Soldato
I recently bought a Draper 30357 Micrometer which seems very good quality and will mostly be only used for tightening wheel nuts. It certainly feels well constructed and gets decent reviews plus comes with a handy blow mount storage case :cool: Assuming you set it to the lowest torque after use and don't use it as a breaker bar it should remain fairly accurate. It has a range of 30-210Nm/22.1-154.9lb-ft so should cover a wide range of jobs and for just under £20 delivered you can't go wrong :)

this looks to be a bargain - what drive is it tho?

Back
Top Bottom