Fractal Design R3

Soldato
I'm not sure if i'm being thick (or just crap at explaining what i'm after) but I mean the depth of the case- i.e. measure from the front edge of the front foot, to the back edge of the back foot.

I have a a pc tower type shelf but am unsure if the depth of the case will fit on without the feet hanging off the edge! Also, can the feet be moved / removed at all?

Associate
406mm from begining of the front feet to the end of the feet at the back.
If I understand correctly :).
Also yes the feet could be unscrewed, drill holes where you want them & place them :).

Soldato
Looks nice x51m017x, I notice they have altered the design of the drive bay blanking plate on the R3 then, looks like it has a dust filter now, does it ?

jbs

jbs

Associate
Any recommendations for what case fans to get additional when buying the R3? Being quiet is as important as cool for me. Thanks

Soldato
Anyone have more than 2/3 hdd's in one of these? My fileserver has 8 hdds and is rather noisy - was looking to get this as a replacement case.

I got all 8 bays filled with 2tb WDs, and its still silent and cooled nicely with the 2x120mm fans on low at the front, and I sleep but 1-2 meters away from the entire pc.

Theres been concern in the past about the wobbly hdd cages but its fine and good actually hdds need a bit of slack to slide in and out easily and these do.

The cooling/features and hdd options are excellent with this case however I still need more bays so gottat look at the Lian li towers with 10+ bays and more at the front if needed :)

Soldato
What do you mean by "fans on low"? This doesn't have level settings?

Also, what else have you got in it fan wise? What gpu? Surely with any standard gpu / fans on anything above say 800rpm, it's quite noticeable, i.e. not "silent" lol?

Are you using it as a server case? Seems a lot of storage otherwise... 16TB?!

Soldato
Actually it does have level settings, the Fractal R2 at least, the ones I have has a 3 fan controller with it so I assume the R3 does too, it's fitted to an expansion card slot plate so it's round the back of the machine it's altered simply by turning a nob.

On a slightly different but I think still relevant note, I just re-purposed one of my two desktop computers and have made it a full time HTPC and since the Fractal R2 that it was in is too large and the wrong format to fit in with my AV gear I am no-longer using the case. Expect it to come up on the Members Market in the next couple of days, it's a Titanium Grey R2, actually I have 2 ...both my desktops were using them but I will be keeping the one my primary desktop is in of course.

Associate
Really like the look of this case!
Think next time I have some spare cash it'll be bought, nice and simple looking without being boring!

Associate
Really tempted by this case, just wondering how well the sound proofing works ?

Coming from a noicey Coolermaster Stacker 830 I am hoping for my next case to be quiet and have good air flow.

Associate
OP
Actually it does have level settings, the Fractal R2 at least, the ones I have has a 3 fan controller with it so I assume the R3 does too, it's fitted to an expansion card slot plate so it's round the back of the machine it's altered simply by turning a nob.

On a slightly different but I think still relevant note, I just re-purposed one of my two desktop computers and have made it a full time HTPC and since the Fractal R2 that it was in is too large and the wrong format to fit in with my AV gear I am no-longer using the case. Expect it to come up on the Members Market in the next couple of days, it's a Titanium Grey R2, actually I have 2 ...both my desktops were using them but I will be keeping the one my primary desktop is in of course.

Yes the r3 is the same with the 3 ch fan controller. I'm using a 6 ch fan controller for game / silent setup.

Mine folds with 2 470's @ 70 deg C so the air flow is good. I swapped the fractal fans out for akasa vipers (5 case / 2 cpu push pull).

Last edited:
Associate
x51m017x, Can you please tell me if the airflow is really good & keeps good temps, as we have a hot room.
Is there plenty of room at the back for cable management.
You have made a very good job of the set up, looks superb.

Associate
I just got one this morning. I can't comment on temps yet but the build quality seems very good, certainly better than my old Antec Sonata II. There's about 1cm of clearance at the back of the motherboard tray for cable management.

Soldato
I really like these cases apart from one thing..

The top panel with the two fan mountings looks rubbish with them being blanked off and really doesn't go with the design of the rest of the case. I would really like it if it didn't have fan vents on any of the side panels or top panel, I would but it today if it was like that.

Apart from that it's a very slick case and soo close to what I'm looking for - the search continues.

Soldato
Great work on pictures looks like nice a case, did all that sound proofing come with case or did you add any?

Back
Top Bottom