What's the point (putting down a bull)

Soldato
It does seem daft having a public footpath through a field with a bull in it.

It's not only daft but also unlawful, all Bulls over a certain size/age are not allowed to be kept in a field that has Public Access through it IIRC.

Edit It's actually ALL Dairy Bulls over 10 months old, but all other breeds HAVE to be accompanied in the field with Heifers after 10 Months old too.

Last edited:
Soldato
You don't take chances with bulls. I work on an Arable/Beef farm when I'm not needed on our Dairy Farm.

The two bulls at the beef farm are big big animals, we don't go in the pen with them at any time. They're due for sale at the market next wednesday as the local abboitoire won't accept bulls, only bullocks (a male animal with its testical cords crushed before it reaches maturity) probably due to the nature of a bull being rather nasty!

Unlucky for the walkers. But putting the bull down won't solve anything, it's not like it was a specific 'Killer bull' . Put two walkers in a field with most bulls and the same could easily occur.

Soldato
Public footpath, the walkers aren't at fault here.

They walked into a field with a Bull in it, of course it's their fault! If was a field of sheep and they died then I can imagine they'd have been surprised but you should NEVER just bimble into a Bulls field, regardless of the "well it's a Right of Way so I'm going to walk there - Oh No, I'm dead"

Darwinism strikes again.

Associate
They walked into a field with a Bull in it, of course it's their fault! If was a field of sheep and they died then I can imagine they'd have been surprised but you should NEVER just bimble into a Bulls field, regardless of the "well it's a Right of Way so I'm going to walk there - Oh No, I'm dead"

Darwinism strikes again.

Right because the entirety of the path was in sight, the bull was clearly visible before it attacked them and all that. Not everyone knows how dangerous a bull can be, also the bull shouldn't even have been near a public footpath.

Caporegime

God forbid they thought that a public footpath would be safe to walk along...

Soldato

Darwinism strikes again.

True, but just for the record... people have been killed by stampeding sheep before many times :p .

Soldato
Neither of us know the full lay of the land so we're both wrong/right. Either way the Bull will be killed, the farmer will be in trouble if he stored the bull incorrectly and the people will still be dead.

Soldato

Darwinism strikes again.

It happened at 4:30pm so it would have been getting dark, it's very possible they didn't even know there was a bull there until it was too late

Soldato
Bulls are big mean beasts, I always stay well clear of them. Heck Bullocks are scary enough!

Why was a Bull in a field that's a public footpath? I'm not a genius, but I know that Bulls and people don't mix well.

Soldato
We keep bulls in fields with footpaths routed through them (on parents farm), it's perfectly cool so long as you put "Bull in field" warning signs on the entrances to cover yourself + liability insurance. Dangerous things indeed though.

Last edited:
Associate
I saw a bull chase an 8 man army foot patrol through a field on northern Ireland during the time the ira were officially active (the troubles) they were all fully armed too. It wasn't running after them more of a trot. The field the soldiers were patrolling through was full of the cattle to be served by the bull so he might have been a bit territorial. As soon as they had jumped over the fence into the next field he calmed down a bit.

The same bull charged at me and i ended up standing inside a silage trailer for about 25 mins till he lost interest, he was in with the herd that i was bringing in for milking.

Last edited:
Soldato
We keep bulls in fields with footpaths routed through them (on parents farm), it's perfectly cool so long as you put "Bull in field" warning signs on the entrances to cover yourself. Dangerous things indeed though.

do they follow this regualtion?

Section 59 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 bans bulls of recognised dairy breeds (eg Ayrshire, Friesian, Holstein, Dairy Shorthor n, Guernsey, Jersey and Kerry) in all cir cumstances from being at large in fields cr ossed by public rights of way. Bulls of all other breeds are also banned from such fields unless accompanied by cows or heifers, but there are no specific prohibitions on other cattle. ‘Fields’ in this legislation does not include areas such as open fell or moorland.

Back
Top Bottom