NomNomNomNom...

Soldato
Me neither but i reckon the blocks new would be roughly £60 each bits n barbs....ooooeck the 2 x h70 are starting to look good, was just thinking that if you were to start overclocking them to the max you might want a proper loop but if its going to run an average overclock the h70's will probably do.:)

Soldato
My H50s handle 4GHz OCs quite well! The H70s are much improved, so a decent OC should be possible on them. Though Summer might put the kaybosh on that! :p

EDIT: Ooooer missus!

I just priced up a spec using two H70s and guessing at a case price of about 250 quid.... 3K! :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
My H50s handle 4GHz OCs quite well! The H70s are much improved, so a decent OC should be possible on them. Though Summer might put the kaybosh on that! :p

Thank you Mr SiriusB i just sold myself 2 x h70 without knowing it :eek:
Makes sense but as you say summer might negate the positive fianancials involved.

Anyways are we not wayyyyyy overdue for some in progress pics of Mr Biffas shenanigans tis his thread after all lol

Man of Honour
OP
Final water route:

09122010312_s.jpg

Thats: Res -> Pump -> CPU0 -> Mobo/PWM0 -> CPU1 -> PWM1 -> Radiator -> Pump

OK, last night I finally worked up the energy to finish this puppy.

So around 1:30AM I shut down the VMware server and backed up the drives.

But before the shutdown I remembered to grab a snap of the old girls power usage during folding.

09122010316_s.jpg

All I needed from the old box was the 12GB DDR3 and the pump. That was the easy bit. Draining the old machine was a matter of standing it on the worktop next to the sink, undoing the res and pouring the water out. Simples! And we all know how to take out memory sticks :D

So memory into the red slots only in both banks. Then bolt the EK res onto the EK pump which was a bit of a fiddle:

09122010318_s.jpg

Put it all into the new case and connect it up to the loop with newly cut tubing, then it was leak testing. Not for any length of time really. Just to satisfy my paranoia. Its not a complex loop, but I'm glad I got the acrylic motherboard block, at least I can see the water flowing ok :)

And heres the finished job:
09122010321_s.jpg

Then the kerfuffle of detecting new motherboard, and M$ bleating about activation to sort out. Installed the drivers, let it boot at stock and run overnight.

Then. this morning, onto the hardforum to pick the brains of the mad SR-2 users in the SR-2 Optimization Thread

I didn't have much time to tweak so just disabled NUMA and threw the overclock up to 3.6Ghz and let it resume the WU it was folding.

Currently its pumping out a frame every 13 minutes on a P2686 (R3, C16, G47) :eek:

Not yet 160K but I'll be working on it over the next few weeks to tweak it up.

Soldato
Looking very nice.

I assume you made sure before taking that wattage shot that all the systems cores were processing something and not sending/receiving?

Also what graphics card do you have installed? I assume it is just for the desktop image?

Associate
I've never built a proper WC system. As you're pumping warmed up water over CPU1 I assume it runs warmer than CPU0, but by how much?

Loving what you're doing here, if only I had a bit more confidence and a shed load more spondoolies ;)

Man of Honour
OP
Looking very nice.

I assume you made sure before taking that wattage shot that all the systems cores were processing something and not sending/receiving?

Also what graphics card do you have installed? I assume it is just for the desktop image?

Of course, remember thats the wattage of the i7 920 running bigadv.

The card is just a 8100GS

I've never built a proper WC system. As you're pumping warmed up water over CPU1 I assume it runs warmer than CPU0, but by how much?

Loving what you're doing here, if only I had a bit more confidence and a shed load more spondoolies ;)

No the loop temperature stabilises after a little while, you might get a psychological improvement in the first part after the pump as its getting the highest pressure but temperature doesn't really make a difference on component order.

WC is no more scary than the first time you change a CPU, after a while, as long as you take decent precautions and err on the safe side you will be fine mixing water and lectrickery :D

I'll try do some better pics tonight.

Soldato
What we all really want to know is did you take advice from earlier in the thread and play Ride of the Valyries when you switched it on? :p

You know what helps make me realise how large that case and board are... The loop looks lost! Most cases with WC tend to look filled up, if not completely over-crowded!

Man of Honour
OP
What we all really want to know is did you take advice from earlier in the thread and play Ride of the Valyries when you switched it on? :p

You know what helps make me realise how large that case and board are... The loop looks lost! Most cases with WC tend to look filled up, if not completely over-crowded!

I did in my head :)

More pics:

HFM output:
hfm.png

Wattage at full tilt:
10122010323-001.jpg

Heat etc:
3600.png

OK so we are at 3.6Ghz with the roughest of unoptimised settings because I just haven't had the time or opportunity to wade through the [H] forum thread with everyone's config's in there. But I will and I will find that extra 4-600Mhz to take it to 4.0 or 4.2

Compared to the 920 running smp 7 and the 970 running smp 10 the increase seems more than proportionate, and anything at at or below 13min TPF is good :)

So far I am pleased. :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
That must have put a smile on your face the first time you set up HFM and saw 129K :)

I keep on saying this but it is amazing getting that much PPD (and potentially another 30K) from that power usage. Nicely done sah!

Soldato
:eek::eek: That looks rather spiffing and by the time you've finished tweaking etc i dare say you will reach your 160000 soon enough.
I could not quite work out looking at those figures for bigadv but how long do you think it will take to complete an adv unit on average?
Bravo so far...:D

Back
Top Bottom