DPI vs Sensitivity

Soldato
Hi

I've just treated myself to a Roccat Kone+, as an upgrade from my trusty MX518 (which I still love don't worry). I noticed that this mouse is capable of 6000 DPI, which I know many of you will say is not needed.

My question is:

Is it always best to use the highest DPI possible, and lower the in-game sensitivity to compensate?

Just to give you a bit of background, I'm a fairly low-mid sensitivity player. I use about 50cm to spin a full 360 degrees in FPSs, and I'll stick to this for most games. I also want to consider the "lifetime" of the mouse too... don't want to burn it out unnecessarily.

Associate
Some mice have sweet spots where they perform best, but generally you only need enough DPI so that the crosshair doesn't skip pixels. High DPI can create things like negative accel in some games unless they use direct input. You can also get mouse skipping or malfunctioning. They tend to perform better or more consistently with low DPI. Usually its recommended to use just enough dpi for how far you move your mouse to move the crosshair ingame and for how high your monitor resolution is

Theres some formula to work it out. So for 1280 resolution width its

(1280 x 4)/(inches for 360 rotation)

So for 50 cm or 20 inches you need 240 DPI to not skip pixels

You can try this converter: http://www.mikofoto.net/ae/calculator2.php

You can read a bit more about it here: http://www.esreality.com/index.php?a=longpost&id=1265679&page=2

Its not a huge deal though just use what works for you.

Last edited:
Associate
You can try both ways and see which one feels more comfortable. I prefer low dpi.

I too have heard that we should all be using the maximum dpi and turning down sens in the game, but practically it doesnt work out that way.

Soldato
Soldato
Quick question, do you need the mouse accel fix if you're using raw input? (steam games let you use raw input now)

People on the forums make me laugh. I complained a while ago that BFBC2 feels like a heavy mess compare to source and cod games. I just wish dice had sorted it all out in a patch. That game did not get proper mouse support in my opinion.

Man of Honour
Is it always best to use the highest DPI possible, and lower the in-game sensitivity to compensate?

Just to give you a bit of background, I'm a fairly low-mid sensitivity player. I use about 50cm to spin a full 360 degrees in FPSs

In my opinion, yes, although at those kind of levels it probably doesn't make a lot of difference. One downside is that in some games you can't set the sensitivity low enough if you have DPI maxed and have to start faffing about in .ini files etc (e.g. Medal of Honor).

Also if you ask me 50cm for a 360 is an extremely low sens not low-mid. I use around 5.5cm (which most people would class as high, but even so, anything over about 30cm I would definitely call low sens).

Soldato
OP
So you use almost 1 rulers length just to turn 180 in fps games? :S You must get shot in the back lots

I used to - just got to shoot first ;)

In my opinion, yes, although at those kind of levels it probably doesn't make a lot of difference. One downside is that in some games you can't set the sensitivity low enough if you have DPI maxed and have to start faffing about in .ini files etc (e.g. Medal of Honor).

Also if you ask me 50cm for a 360 is an extremely low sens not low-mid. I use around 5.5cm (which most people would class as high, but even so, anything over about 30cm I would definitely call low sens).

OK re setting the sensitivity low enough: good point - think I'll go for one of "middle" DPI settings, in 1600 to 3200 range. See how that goes.

Yeh suppose it is fairly low. I just remembered that some guys I used to know played with over 70cm per 360 degrees.

50cm to 360 degrees sounds completely incorrect.

It's correct :) Well, I don't play with this sensitivity in all games. Just FPSs where I have ideas about where people are going to be i.e. CSS, Cod4 etc.

Soldato
^

70cm for 360?...

You know cm means centimeter, and you know how big a centimeter is?

Seeing as my arm outstretched from the stitching at the top of my sleeve to my finger tip is 74cm, I am positive you are highly confused about the length of a centimeter.

70mm perhaps, but 70cm no.

Soldato
OP
70cm for 360?...

You know cm means centimeter, and you know how big a centimeter is?

Seeing as my arm outstretched from the stitching at the top of my sleeve to my finger tip is 74cm, I am positive you are highly confused about the length of a centimeter.

70mm perhaps, but 70cm no.

There is a reason Overclockers sell these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-000-BB

Also watch this video:

http://www.esreality.com/files/movies/2006/mew_playing_06.avi

Trust me, I know what a centimeter is. I did a degree in Civil Engineering :)

Back
Top Bottom