• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official ATI Radeon HD 6970 & 6950 Reviews, Discussion and Overclocking Thread ***

Soldato
OCP are AMD biased.

Kyle (Hardocp) has a no bull**** approach.

Funny that you mention it, you used to quote [H]ard|OCP reviews every time you wanted to prove that Nvidia beats ATI to death :rolleyes:

If you've read that review, you'd realise that HD6970 is faster at 2560x1600 in any game even though it uses 8xAA compared to 4xAA with GTX570. Apples-to-apples comparison and HD6970 is 15% faster than GTX570. More memory helps a lot I think.

They only pay $20 extra for the HD6970 over GTX570 in the US.

I find Kyle refreshing.
if he likes things he says so, if he hates things, he says so.

Soldato
Anyone's fan speed up very fast several times on bootup? my vapor-x didn't use to do this lol and also the fan seems a tad noisy.:(

Oh well time to test.:)

Soldato
From what I can gather there are issues surrounding the reviews and which drivers were used.
I'm inclined to go with Hardocp on most things, they do talk a lot about impartiality and tend to stand by what they say.

There are lots of good choices on the market now, it's much of a muchness :)

Soldato
Oh FFS, this is a good one.... When I opened my 6970 packaging there were 2 screws in the bottom of the box from the cooler backplate. I thought nowt of it n screwed em back in, but I've just checked today and one's loose again.....

The screws are metal n, the card is on its side in a HTPC so if one drops out it could short my mobo.

With Gibbo talking touching the cooler will invalidate the warranty its worrying me.

Soldato

Any idea what it could be? card working fine though just tried WoW maxed with ultra shadows and 8xmsaa getting 60fps nearly all the time.(on my 5870 i could go these settings but it would get stutter sometimes like the memory was being pushed to it's limits so had to lower shadows and msaa to x4.)

Should i be worried about the fan thing? card works fine so guess it be ok.....max temp on 50% fanspeed i seen so far is 70c which isn't too bad i guess.

Going to try Heaven now.

Soldato
ATI cocked up the Cooler exhaust port on the 58** series and have done the same with the 69** !! For the sake of fitting 1 extra dvi connector most will not use ...
I would think the cards could be 20% cooler and quieter If they did it properly and used a breakout box for the multi monitor support

Soldato
Any idea what it could be? card working fine though just tried WoW maxed with ultra shadows and 8xmsaa getting 60fps nearly all the time.(on my 5870 i could go these settings but it would get stutter sometimes like the memory was being pushed to it's limits so had to lower shadows and msaa to x4.)

Should i be worried about the fan thing? card works fine so guess it be ok.....max temp on 50% fanspeed i seen so far is 70c which isn't too bad i guess.

Going to try Heaven now.
maybe u need a bios update....

nothing to worry about

Associate
the driver i used were the 10.12 display drivers only package first then installed the ccc2 preview package.

How did you manage to do that, I've downloaded the package with the new Control Center but when installing it doesn't give me the option to select it for installation (not showing on the list) :confused:

Soldato

Going to try Heaven now.

No, Just the same as Your motherboard Bios normally spins up the fans, it's just a self check that could be slightly different with hardware combinations

Soldato
Could please check what are your 2D(idle) frequencies once everything's installed? I'm curious to know if it is just me having an issue or if it is indeed a Catalyst related bug and therefore it will affect everyone.
Cheers

Do you have 120hz or dual monitors?

Soldato
1316 score in Heaven default settings at 1920x1200 with i7 920@4ghz, sounds about right? using 10.12s and only did one run.

What fanspeed everyone using? i find 45-50% the absolutely bareable limit for me lol.

Associate
the driver i used were the 10.12 display drivers only package first then installed the ccc2 preview package.

I installed the CCC2 preview and it didn't have the 6970 drivers, Worked fine on the 4870x2 ended up just installing the normal set which so far work fine with 6970 Although AVP crashed but i think that was the game itself since i ran a cache check, 14meg download later.. yet to try it again to busy playing metro 2033 at max lol. :D

Associate
Just noticed something strange, with the drivers uninstalled GPU-Z does report the 2D frequencies to be correct (250/150).
I don't get it, no drivers=right frequencies and with drivers=wrong frequencies. What the hell is going on :eek:

Soldato
Just noticed something strange, with the drivers uninstalled GPU-Z does report the 2D frequencies to be correct (250/150).
I don't get it, no drivers=right frequencies and with drivers=wrong frequencies. What the hell is going on :eek:

Good old "power play", the app you are using to monitor with can be calling 3d clocks, sometimes with these things You have to use logging ;)

Back
Top Bottom