Stupid Mistake!!

Associate
Went to court yesterday for the first time in my life only to expierence a very unorganised bunch of people!!

Upon arrival I was told to fill out another plea form with all my earnings and outgoings etc even though I had already done all these forms and sent these in a good week in advance so I didnt bother.

Then after a short wait my girlfriend was called into a court room but not me and then they realised it was a combined case and called me in late.

We were then asked if we had our plea forms only for us to reply nervously that we had sent them in, only for them to realise that she was sitting right infront of them.

So she read out our plea form and comments then it went to the judges without even giving us a chance to speak, at first they thought I had no insurance either until the police explained it wasnt the case and it was just for me permitting. This didnt fill me with much hope as they really seemed clueless and after they talked amongst themselves for 2minutes they came to the decision we would both get 6 points and a £145 each.

When I asked if I could make any comments I was told I could say what I wanted but it wouldnt make any difference and they said they could have gave me 8 points so I was lucky just to get 6.

It was pointless going to court and getting all dressed up to be honest because everyone else there was just local riff raff and we were dealt with exactly the same like they didnt want to give us the time of day.

Another thing that annoyed me was the fact they didnt explain that I could still drive until I get a letter from the dvla with the date that my license will be revoked.

So now I am just waiting on this letter and then I have to apply for my provisional again and then do my theory and practical test. I have already spoken to my old driving instructor and arranged that once I pass my theory again he will fit me in for a few lessons and try and book my test.

Another thing though is that I have just been offered to go for an interview with BT for a Telecoms Engineer Apprenticship but this requires a full driving license, now the interview is on the 25th, should I just attend and explain my situation as best I can knowing it will do me no favours...

I am gutted about the whole thing but you live and learn I suppose,

Thanks, Sam

you got off very lucky mate!
seems like they only sentenced for one offence each, no insurance itself as an FPN carries £200 fine and 6 points, otherwise in accordance with a license similar though thats always dealt with by court.
use/cause/permit is also 6 points and always dealt with by court.

the unfortunate thing about magistrates from a policing perspective and sometimes fortunate from an 'accused' perspective is that some magistrates know near as makes no difference nothing about the law.

did they seize your car at the roadside aswell or did they allow you to drive it off as you had valid insurance and driving license??

if your a 'reasonable person' and you dress smartly and be courteous and honest etc with the magistrates then it is always worth going to magistrates court as it makes it more personal to hand down the sentence, its not just stamping the returned plea form and going for whatever sentence they deem fit.

however i wouldnt suggest this to anyone as its a waste of taxpayers money :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
The OP should not have given her permission to drive his car knowing that she was uninsured and didn't have a licence. To me this is as much of an offence as actually driving the car. Without his consent no crime would have been committed, so they are equally in the wrong. I dont see any issue with the penaltys given, more so with the cost of dragging them into court for what was already a done deal and not going to be contested.

If only life was that black and white :rolleyes:

DM

DM

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;18074331 said:
Well some things pretty much are, as the court have demonstrated.

Dont make it right though does it, 3 poxy green grocers they should stick to single magistrates that have half a clue , there was no need to get the OP retaking tests, why couldnt they just punish his girl.

Everyone does it, some just choose a better place to let them have a go.

DM

DM

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;18074473 said:
Oh don't be so ridiculous. It's not about being 'perfect'.

Come on then tell me what do you think he should have got?

Everyones done what hes done its no big deal, i just chose the right places to do it.

If i had been done doing it, it would have been a few points and a fine, why should he have all that ****** retaking a test because some ***** who dont know the law from a burned buscuit says so.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The OP got stung by the new driver act, he wouldn't have to retake his test if that wasn't in place. Unfortunately 6 points in the first 24 months means you have to start again. Be it for speeding or driving uninsured.

Man of Honour
Everyones done what hes done its no big deal

This is where to disagree. Encouraging and allowing somebody you know has neither insurance nor a license to drive on a public road is not really a good idea, is it? You cant even give us the rubbish about it being quiet - as there was other traffic, like a marked police car, around.

You'd be singing from the other side of the hymsheet if she'd have clipped a parked car or hit you...

This sort of thing isnt acceptable - the fact some people think it is is why people who do it are awarded 6 points to remind them that it isnt acceptable.

The fact he's lost his license is regrettable but is seperate - he lost his license because he collected 6 points, not because he let his girlfriend drive his car without a license or any insurance.

Last edited:

DM

DM

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;18074581 said:
This is where to disagree. Encouraging and allowing somebody you know has neither insurance nor a license to drive on a public road is not really a good idea, is it? You cant even give us the rubbish about it being quiet - as there was other traffic, like a marked police car, around.

You'd be singing from the other side of the hymsheet if she'd have clipped a parked car or hit you...

Look back to when the bloke and his daughter hit my beloved Jag, this **** happens very annoying but it does happen.

Chill out high blood pressure gonna kill you my mate :D

Soldato
So Fox, do you believe it is acceptable for people to receive points on their driving license for offences that aren't at all related to their driving?

DM

DM

Permabanned
So Fox, do you believe it is acceptable for people to receive points on their driving license for offences that aren't at all related to their driving?

Let me tell you its like this, Fox is anh upholder of law and order but when he has kids that insist on driving on a bit of land i want him to come back and be honest.

Theres **** all wro9ng with him iv gotta say
joshy we git a lot of dinner left ocer if you fancy some by the way :)

Man of Honour
Chill out high blood pressure gonna kill you my mate :D

Why can we not discuss opposing views without people assuming stuff like that :confused:

I beleive it is acceptable for people to receive points on their driving license for offences that are related to car ownership, yes. Owning a car is a responsibility.

DiamondMark said:
Fox is anh upholder of law and order but when he has kids that insist on driving on a bit of land i want him to come back and be honest.

This wasn't a bit of land, was it? It was a public road - an actual, normal, everyday road.

Back
Top Bottom