phantom menace on itv

Don't even go there, the climax of that scene is one of the most stupid things in the Star Wars saga (and lets face it there's some stiff competition in there). A Sith Dark Lord with some of the fastest reactions in the galaxy (and who's just handily fought off two Jedi before dispatching one comfortably) waits with gob agape for Obi-Wan to leap upwards from a position hanging off a light fitting and pull a lightsaber towards him before letting himself be cut in half...

Yeah i do agree the end to the duel is a travesty, Kenobi farting himself out of that hole and Maul just watching will go down in history but damn it was awesome getting there.... I still say Lucas should never have directed the movies, he's too caught up in tech and merchandise rights.

Caporegime
Star Wars prequels, are some of those very, very few movies in my life, where I just can not warm up to any of the characters. Between stupid kid, whiney Obi Wan, bland queen and Jar Jar Binks, you kind of start rooting for Darth Maul at some point.

Plus the prequels wrecked everything the original trilogy stood for. The Force turned out to be blood disorder, Darth Vader was a immaculately conceived pansy boy with mummy issues, original Jedi knights turned out to be bunch of cheating, meddling, stuck up girl genitalia and The Republic turned out to be some sort of soviet union of planets run by Bob Crow, teenage kids and other Missa Cretins From Da Swamp.

And then Indy Jones hid in a fridge to survive nuclear blast.

:D:p:D

Soldato
Sad but true, its arguably telling that the best SW film, was the one NOT directed by George Lucas.

Kinda makes you wish that the new trilogy hadn't been controlled by George and someone else had been brought in to do it, with George just sitting in as creator.

Didn't stop me enjoying seeing Star Wars in the cinema, but the sequels really could and should have been much better. They got better as they went, but arguably Ep3 was where Episode 1 should have started from.

Soldato
Awful film. The acting is so uninvolving, cheesy and flat.

I enjoyed it as a youngster because that's precisely what it was, a kids movie focused around merchandising.

Soldato
Well, I grew up with Star Wars:
  1. A New Hope
  2. Empire Strikes Back
  3. Return of the Jedi

Yes, I am old :(

Then they brought out all these prequels - I recall being on holiday in Jersey (of all places) when Phantom Menace was released and I dragged the girlfriend (now wife) to see this! What a disaster of a movie, like others have said the lightsabre duel / soundtrack were the best bits imo - and Jar Jar really annoys throughout the film! On the plus side the Cineworld cinema in St Helier, Jersey is one of the best cinemas I've ever been in with loads of leg room :D

Man of Honour
So many plot holes and Jar Jar Binks really annoys me. Agree with the above, the second is worse. Absolutely love the 3rd though. So is ITV showing them all? I have been wanting to watch them all again for ages.

Soldato
Yeah it was a shockingly poor film. Jar Jar Binks is a horrible, hateful character; the end of that lightsaber duel is so stupid; Anakin is whiney and irritating. I could go on...

I did enjoy the final prequel though, I thought that was a much better film than the first two prequels. Still not as good as the originals (though I actually hate Return of the Jedi and I'd put that as the fourth best SW film) but certainly enjoyable imo.

Man of Honour
The best Star Wars memory I have is when the prequels were about to be released, some cinemas showed the original remastered trilogy. I recall a very drunken night followed by turning up to a cinema in Leicester Square. Everyone in the cinema was just as drunk. And as the intro started, the roof on the cinema lifted with hundreds of drunken people cheering as they recaptured their youth.

Soldato
I hate it.

apart from being just downright rubbish why do all the Aliens have some kind of foreign vibe going on.

seems lazy and slightly racist even.

and then explaining the force with Science....

And I try ot to think About the new Indie film too much.

Just die George Lucas. die painfully.

Soldato
Got to agree with some of the above comments, prefer 1 to 2. Attack of the Clones really is that bad whereas despite Phantom Menance's flaws I still think its entertaining enough to watch, could certainly have cut a few characters (Although I don't know how they would work with script without a young Anakin lol).

Back
Top Bottom