Has anyone recovered from mental illness?

Associate
I've had problems since I was 18 i'm 36 Now, to many drug and alcohol fueled nights upto when I met my partner at 25 had messed me up so much and have taken the best part of ten years to get mildly better.

I had depression from around the age of 15 but I did'nt know what it was and drugs and booze stopped me feeling bad and this went on for years until I met my partner and slowly stopped all the silly stuff.

Today I cope I'm on citalpram low dosage which I've tried to come off but the side effects are to strong so I start taking it again I've been on it 4 years on and off.

When my depression hits when it's really bad all I think about is death and other people close to me dying mostly my dad and my kids and partner, everything is black and I seem just to float through life.

weight training and eating right not drinking and going on long runs is the only thing that helps now, I'm at the point now where I cannot have one drink as it leads to a 2 week binge so i run when I'm down and do some heavy squats.

The doctor has said I most likely will never feel 100% and I will always have some problems as the drugs made it all worse like brain damage.

The drugs don't work they just make you worse.

I can relate to that i feel like ive caused some perma damage and dont think i'll ever feel normal again.

Associate
I've had problems since I was 18 i'm 36 Now, to many drug and alcohol fueled nights upto when I met my partner at 25 had messed me up so much and have taken the best part of ten years to get mildly better.

I had depression from around the age of 15 but I did'nt know what it was and drugs and booze stopped me feeling bad and this went on for years until I met my partner and slowly stopped all the silly stuff.

Today I cope I'm on citalpram low dosage which I've tried to come off but the side effects are to strong so I start taking it again I've been on it 4 years on and off.

When my depression hits when it's really bad all I think about is death and other people close to me dying mostly my dad and my kids and partner, everything is black and I seem just to float through life.

weight training and eating right not drinking and going on long runs is the only thing that helps now, I'm at the point now where I cannot have one drink as it leads to a 2 week binge so i run when I'm down and do some heavy squats.

The doctor has said I most likely will never feel 100% and I will always have some problems as the drugs made it all worse like brain damage.

Would you say your worse now than when you was 15? I dabbled in varied substances over the years, none heavily. The government has it so wrong with all the scare mongering. If I was educated about the whole subject mainly about anxiety, depression, what they are and not to mix them with substances it would have saved me a whole lot of pain.

I don't think my substance use has had lasting effects on me but it sure did bring my social and general anxiety to the surface.

Soldato
Would you say your worse now than when you was 15? I dabbled in varied substances over the years, none heavily. The government has it so wrong with all the scare mongering. If I was educated about the whole subject mainly about anxiety, depression, what they are and not to mix them with substances it would have saved me a whole lot of pain.

I don't think my substance use has had lasting effects on me but it sure did bring my social and general anxiety to the surface.

I would say I'm worse now than back then if I'd know what my problems where back then it may have been fixed easily.

Trouble with me then was I didn't no when to stop and to many psychotic episodes with drugs due to taking to many on top of my depression made it all a lot worse.

Soldato
Sorry I will do later if I get the time was too busy trying to absorb the horrors of Chuggerbooms thread when I replied!
hehe, np.

So, healthcare with complete disregard for cost then?
Not quite sure where you got that idea from, but it's a hard deal to accept when you or someone you know cannot get the help they need, unless we're going to just draw arbitrary conclusions as to who is more deserving of treatment... what criteria would you propose to decide? Short term gains and easy treatments to targets or long term goals which actually stand some chance of helping in the long run, solving the issues and costing less down the line?
Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Soldato
i had a string of major panic attacks and fear when i was 22, lasted for 4 months could not enter a shop or crowded place without spinning out, my heart was just banging all the time, i was sure i was dying, had a dose of beta blockers and was told i need more natural daylight, i exercise daily now and always walk my dog, never looked back, at the time i felt pretty mental and it seemed IMPOSSIBLE that i would ever recover in my own mind, but now i could not be any further away from that place.

Associate
I'm on the waiting list to see a psychologist so I haven't recovered from mental illness yet.

Until then I shall continue my unhealthy life of rarely leaving the house. I can't remember the last time I talked to someone near my age, I'm guessing thats quite awful.

Well, I'm on a waiting list to get an appointment for an assesement to see which type of therapy would help, then I'll get to go on the waiting list for whatever therapy / psychologist would be deemed appropriate.....

Yo dawg, I herd yo like waiting lists........ :mad:

Associate

I'm sorry to hear that mate. Really feel for you.

I was prescribed the same drug. 20mg for 4 weeks. It helped me no end with no noticeable side effects. Like you I also started weight training and exercising.

Having read your post its now even more obvious that depression hits us all differently, effects us in different ways. Some recover, some constantly battle it.

I assume you've tried different drugs but none have helped?

Associate
I'm sorry to hear that mate. Really feel for you.

I was prescribed the same drug. 20mg for 4 weeks. It helped me no end with no noticeable side effects. Like you I also started weight training and exercising.

Having read your post its now even more obvious that depression hits us all differently, effects us in different ways. Some recover, some constantly battle it.

I assume you've tried different drugs but none have helped?

You say 20mg for 4 weeks, yet my understanding is it takes at least 4 weeks before the brain balances the chemical changes. I always thought Citalopram was a medium to long term medication not a short term one.

Soldato
I had a mate kill himself, think he was a bit cuckoo - decent chap tho.

I had a gf threaten to kill herself once - rushed over and found she just wanted attention. Broke up eventually because that's what young couples do. She's had a couple of suicide attempts since, and is now drugged up on god-knows-what.

I like to think it's not me making them nuts - but who knows!

I've had plenty of anxiety before - but I wouldn't call it major problem.

Doesn't sound good to know you :eek:

Soldato
I suffered with Anxiety for a while along with hypochondria. It started off with self checking my pulse, feeling "ill" and checking my symptoms on Google every time I came home from work. I would then get pains in my body in places like my chest and get spikes of adrenaline. I would self check my pulse at least once every 5 minutes and count my pulse up to ten, kind of OCD I guess thinking back on it. I slowly got worse and one day it hit me, a massive panic attack whilst watching all start Mr and Mrs... I know that show is enough to send any sane person mad but I truly thought I was about to die! I had a mild pain in my chest, probably caused by indigestion or the way I was sitting which spiked my adrenaline which raised my heart rate way above normal for someone sitting in front of the TV. I suddenly shot to my feet with my fingers on my neck and started to run around the flat crying "THIS IS THE END, IM FOR IT OH MY GOD THIS IS IT" My now wife calmed me down and took me in her arms and told me everything was ok but I could not be consoled. For about 4 days I did not sleep and had a constant feeling of dread and worry looming over me. I was certain I was on my last legs, I would worry about every minor change in my physical condition, be it body temperature or the tightness of my clothes.

I eventually went to see a doctor who gave me some Citalopram and instructed me to take 2 weeks off work, he said I had a case of GAD (General Anxiety Disorder) and had to be helped through it with medication. I had no stress in my life and no trigger factors of real merit I just developed the problem. It took me 1 year to finally wean myself off the drugs. It has been over 1 year since I came off of them and I can safely say (touch wood) that I will never let myself fall into that deep dark world of anxiety. I have since lost a grandparent and although very depressing I was not re-visited by any anxious feelings.

Thinking back on the experience it was a truly depressing time, always looking for a way out of the room, trying to get away from conversations with people, constantly worrying about everything and nothing. I remember the biggest worry was the fact that I felt that no matter what I did, this was my life from now on. Clearly I was mistaken, if I, a relatively weak minded individual, can break free from anxiety then I believe that anyone can!

Associate
You say 20mg for 4 weeks, yet my understanding is it takes at least 4 weeks before the brain balances the chemical changes. I always thought Citalopram was a medium to long term medication not a short term one.

My apologies.
20mg for 6 months. 4 weeks off sick.

That'll teach me not to check my post before I hit submit. My bad.

I was told 10 - 14 days for the drug to take effect.

Associate
My apologies.
20mg for 6 months. 4 weeks off sick.

That'll teach me not to check my post before I hit submit. My bad.

I was told 10 - 14 days for the drug to take effect.

That makes more sense :) Yes, perhaps it was around 2 weeks, I was aware there was a delay as such. Was just worried you had been misinformed! :)

Associate
That makes more sense :) Yes, perhaps it was around 2 weeks, I was aware there was a delay as such. Was just worried you had been misinformed! :)

Thanks for pointing that out.
It may be slightly longer but it definitely seemed to make a difference.

My GP was great, or at least seemed to be. After the whole questionnaire there was the prescription. Then what seemed like a book of info. What it is etc etc. Then I got more printout's with mental exercises to try. They helped.

I got recommended a book. "Overcoming Depression - A self help guide using cognitive behavioural techniques"

Then an appointment to go back in two weeks time. Then more printouts and another appointment.

He made a point of shaking my hand after every appointment.

Associate
I've been told I have anxiety by the GP, it sets all sorts of secondary symptoms off such as IBS and acid reflux which I have to take tablets for to control stomach acid.

However I'm in a real low at the moment, to the point when I go to bed, I'm hoping I don't wake up in the morning, I'm not suicidal, but the only reason I think thats stopping me is what it would do to my family if I did, especially my Mum, it would also leave her in financial difficulty as I pay the mortgage and I doubt they'd pay out for suicide!

It also doesn't help that my biological Dad suffers with really bad Bi-Polar, he's on all sorts of medication, the only one I can remember is lithium. My GP said it could be that i'm pre-dispositioned to end up with mental illness as supposedly it is Herriditary?!

Been suffering from anxiety for years but felt it was under control smoking cannabis. Of course after a few years of that it started to take it's so toll (hard to concentrate, didnt want to sleep, lungs, weight, screw work/more smoke). Found it increasingly hard to keep my composure at work so finally went to the doctor who prescribed me Citalopram 6 months, which was awsome.

Did the stupid & started smoking heavly again thinking it was just a phase or overreaction. Never went back to the doctor after 6 months. Started geting really bad breathing problems (acid reflux) so after moving house went to a different doctor (never told them of my anxiety..felt embarrassed to admit it). I've given up smoking (2 months in.. woot!) but anxiety is starting to show again & starting to realise that smoking is/was a crutch. Time to visit the doctor & admit i've got a problem.

Started a new job & people have commented, which doesnt help. Reading this forum gives me the balls to seek help rather than reach for the lighter

Last edited:
Soldato
Some great posts in here guys. Reading some of the stuff in here is soothing. I've got a social anxiety problem aswell, i could have been given anti depressants but decided that i would challenge it myself rather than reach for the pills. I've been given propranolol just incase.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Has anyone here ever experienced any form of anhedonia after a long (several years) period of depression or as part of the 'recovery' process, or indeed anhedonia at all?

Back
Top Bottom