Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Any preference for chains?
My shimano HG53 just fell apart yesterday.

I was thinking going for KMC as I hear good things, but there are so many mixed reviews and opinions about all makes and models I have found.

Thanks

edit

I ride in Malaysian jungles if that makes any difference

Sram PC991. The 971 will rust in the humidity and the hollow pin will get clogged in the clay jungle mud. ;) Shimano chains just generally suck. KMC are good (X9SL) but those hollow parts might not be great for jungle riding???

Last edited:
Soldato
Im replacing my truvativ stylo cranks and BB with some SLX cranks and BB. I dont have a torque wrench but have the rest of the tools, is it essential that my BB is torqued to the exact setting? Frame is a commencal meta 5.5. Carbon.

Soldato
in what way are these chains falling apart ?

never had it happen :eek:

i can recommend KMC as a chain manufacturer but ive never used a 9spd one. faultless on my bmx's over the years

Soldato
I've got a KMC X9L on my HT and a 991 on my full sus.

I can't tell the difference although the KMC powerlink is much much easier to seperate for me, the one on my SRAM is a right pain (I've even tried some spares).

Soldato
I think we both got duds!

Either way I'm sure both chains would be fine. Go with the gold pimp if it fits your colour scheme

EvilSovereign060.jpg

:D

Soldato
The cardboard frame looks better :p

Reckon I will need to be putting mine in for its free 6 week service at Evans. Was out on it today and noticed the gear shifting having problems when moving to the granny ring (mental steep hills - 85 feet in 0.1 mile at times) as well as it being a tiny bit noisy using middle ring with the biggest rear gear (think the chain is rubbing on the front derailluer)Was bound to happen at some point once all the cables inevitably stretch and things "bed in" I guess....

Also noticed how crap the standard Specialized tyres are that they put on Hardrocks as it struggled for traction going up a hill with lose dirt and wet leaves :(

Lost all the paint on my rear rim now due to V Brakes as well.... Meh, its for riding not for display :D

Last edited:
Associate
I must have a good link, will have to look after it :)

oh and also

Ambrosia
20100811-1gm65hak8pftgrf14w366mx7gt.jpg

Is no more :(
20110116-8rmg6t9y29tgqksffeaftmr351.jpg

Quite a bargain for someone, saw it on Bike radar, was very tempted !
But all my money is off towards house buying funds at the moment.

And I'd have to get rid of one of my bikes, Not really much market for a Giant Reign 2 in Small/16inch and the same goes for Merlin Malt 4.

Being pressurised to get rid of one off the missus, I just can't as they're so different and I like having a choice depending where we go.

You guys still getting to Stainburn often ?

Associate
I must have a good link, will have to look after it :)

oh and also

Ambrosia
20100811-1gm65hak8pftgrf14w366mx7gt.jpg

Is no more :(
20110116-8rmg6t9y29tgqksffeaftmr351.jpg

Quite a bargain for someone, saw it on Bike radar, was very tempted !
But all my money is off towards house buying funds at the moment.

And I'd have to get rid of one of my bikes, Not really much market for a Giant Reign 2 in Small/16inch and the same goes for Merlin Malt 4.

Being pressurised to get rid of one off the missus, I just can't as they're so different and I like having a choice depending where we go.

You guys still getting to Stainburn often ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom