Consultancy rate / permanent salary

Soldato
Rubbish. 300/day as a contract rate does not equate to salary of 72k if there's 240 working days.

It equates to a gross income of 72k based on 240 days, yes. Salary, no.

With a salary there's a hidden cost of Employer's national insurance.

A salary of 72k would mean take home of about 4k/month on PAYE however the real cost would be 81k as there'd me 9k of Employer's NI to pay.

So, gross of 72K as a contractor, paid in the same way as salary, would equate to a take home of about 3.2k/month.

Significantly different. The OPs post is a valid one.....

Soldato
OP
Without any smartypants tax avoidance... What would someone be taking home per month at £300 a day then? Eg. Paying the correct amount of tax as one would via PAYE? £3.5k?

Permabanned
Without any smartypants tax avoidance... What would someone be taking home per month at £300 a day then? Eg. Paying the correct amount of tax as one would via PAYE? £3.5k?

Unfortunately without any smartypants tax avoidance, you have to pay MORE than someone on PAYE. As you have to pay some tax as an 'employer' (employer NI) and some MORE tax as an 'employee' (employEE NI) - even though you're 'employing' yourself.

So the two things simply don't equate. You can't pay the same tax as a guy on PAYE - so giving such PAYE information is effectively useless to you!!!! :/

Man of Honour
How can you possibly be in a position whereby anybody would want to take you on as a contractor when you lack basic multiplication skills?

I completely agree.

To be honest 70% of the 'consultancy' threads on this forum are filled with similar 'HUH!?!' and £300+ day-rates blended together in a strange mix of complete unfeasibility.

Caporegime

There are many official calculators out there and people you can speak to who will want your money. Go try them.

Also, who is the contract with and what industry? I want to be sure that its not anywhere that I know!

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;18893247 said:
Thread conclusion : yet another contractor who has no idea what he's doing.

AMIRITE?

Aye, OP make sure you don't have your cowboy hat on when you turn up on your first day :)

Soldato
Er, no there isn't. I haven't paid a penny of NI in 14 years of contracting.

You don't pay NI on dividends .. and funny enough my salary is £1 less than when NI payments kick in ..

I meant in terms of salary comparison.

Somebody on a stated salary (PAYE) of 72k also has the hidden cost of approx 9k on top of that - the real cost being 81k then.

Low salary+Dividends does of course reduce your NI, but I wasn't referring to that setup :)

Back
Top Bottom